Text boxes and blank space

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
perran

Text boxes and blank space

Post by perran »

I may be testing NWP the limit: I insert small boxes with automatic numbered Figures, Tables etc, wrap text around them, and x-reference them in the text. The only way I have found to do this is to open a text box, insert the diagram, and insert a Figure XX style with automatic numbering, then set it to move with paragraph and wrap around it. This works fine, until suddenly boxes become unanchored with no text wrap, and they cannot be deleted. The worst instance was when a set of boxes caused NWP to crash and could not reopen until I opened the file in Word (ugh) and deleted the boxes. I know I can simply do the boxes as pictures, but then the automatic numbering no longer works, of course. Any ideas about what is happening and whether there are better ways of doing it?

At the same time sometimes a large white space opens and text ends half way down one page and flows on to the next. A post some time ago put this down to footnote continuation settings, but taking out the footnotes does not clear the space.

Grateful for any ideas...
perran

Re: Text boxes and blank space

Post by perran »

Ah!!! Sorry for wasting your time. I have discovered 'add caption to image'! Brilliant! How could I have doubted that NWP could not do what I want? Works with numbered captions.

But still mystified about the blanks spaces. Did I miss a relevant post?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad to hear it sounds like you have things working, but replying to your initial post:
perran wrote:The worst instance was when a set of boxes caused NWP to crash and could not reopen until I opened the file in Word (ugh) and deleted the boxes.
If you could share a copy of this document with us for testing, that would be great. We definitely want to fix any crashing bugs!
At the same time sometimes a large white space opens and text ends half way down one page and flows on to the next. A post some time ago put this down to footnote continuation settings, but taking out the footnotes does not clear the space.
Do you have any paragraph layout options turned on? For example, "keep paragraph together" or "keep with next"? Often times those options force text to the next page without a user realizing.

If that's not the cause, we'd be happy to take a look at an example document and see what's going on. The best way to submit documents (and crash reports) to us is via the menu Help > Send Feedback.
perran

Post by perran »

Many thanks. I tried all those options. I will send any repeat instances. For anyone who is interested, it can be a bit tricky to use /tools/shapes/add caption to image if you want to have sequentially numbered (list) captions such as Figure 1, 2, ... ; I have not worked it out fully yet. It works fine, until one of the list captions wants to start again at nr 1. The manual says add the caption when the image is inline with text, and it will then float. But it seems to lose its caption when it floats. I would be very grateful if you could set out the correct steps as I follow the manual in vain … (so far, e.g., I have 4 inset small boxes in sequence. The fourth insisted on returning to Figure 1 until I set up on the same page as Figure 3, when it worked. Now I cannot get figure 5 going at all. Would be great it this worked smoothly… Am I doing something wrong? (Manual p 456 'Adds a text box to the bottom of the selected image. If the image is inline, it converts the image to a floating image.' Yes, but it (a) disconnects from the caption; (b) loses the number sequence.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

perran wrote:Am I doing something wrong? (Manual p 456 'Adds a text box to the bottom of the selected image. If the image is inline, it converts the image to a floating image.' Yes, but it (a) disconnects from the caption; (b) loses the number sequence.)
I don't think you're doing anything wrong; I think probably the manual just doesn't mention that any text you think of as a caption doesn't come along for the ride when you convert the image to a floating image. Basically when you have an inline image, the caption underneath is just another paragraph that happens to come directly after the image. In other words, there's no special caption-ness to it, if that makes any sense.
Now I cannot get figure 5 going at all. Would be great it this worked smoothly…
If you send me your document, I'd be happy to take a look and see what could be amiss or unexpectedly affecting your situation.
perran

Post by perran »

document sent ...