Tiered numbered headings problems

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
blakers76

Tiered numbered headings problems

Post by blakers76 »

I'm trying to set up tiered numbered headings like:

1 Heading 1
Body text.

1.1 Hading 2
Body text.

1.2 Heading 2
Body text.

1.2.1 Heading 3

and so on. The problem I am having is that the headings are not numbering incrementally. So, what I'm getting, is:

1 Heading 1
Body text.

1.1 Hading 2
Body text.

1.1 Heading 2
Body text.

1.1.1 Heading 3

and so on. I have checked everything a billion times, and everything seems to be set up correctly. What's even more confusing is that the 1st level heading actually renumbers itself right. So what I get is:

1 Heading 1
Body text.

1.1 Hading 2
Body text.

1.1 Heading 2
Body text.

2 Heading 1
Body text.

2.1 Heading 2
Body text.

2.1 Heading 2
Body text.

And so on. The rest of the headings are set up exactly like Heading 1, except of course that they are tied to different Heading tier level. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
phspaelti

Re: Tiered numbered headings problems

Post by phspaelti »

Have you checked the List Style Preference? Go to the style sheet, select the List Style you are using for the numbering and make sure that "Continue numbering across document content" is checked.
Attachments
NWP List Style view.jpg
NWP List Style view.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
philip
blakers76

Post by blakers76 »

Yes, they are all checked. I had already messed around with that setting to make sure it wasn't the problem.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Well just to be clear I have:
  • Heading 1 defined including Tiered List Style
  • Heading 2 based on Heading 1 with List level increased
  • Heading 3 based on Heading 2 with List level increased
And the result works for me.
I am attaching my sample.
If you want you can post your file and I (or somebody) will have a look at it.
Attachments
Tiered Heading Test.rtf
(21.76 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
philip
blakers76

Post by blakers76 »

I don't see any major difference between numbering setup and yours. The only difference is that my heading style are attached to the List style Headings rather than the List style Tiered Headings, and I use the custom numbering system (under the "#" button) instead of the built-in scheme (under the "1.1" button). However, I tried using the Tiered Headings List style and under the built-in numbering scheme to see what would happen and got the same result. I also don't have Heading 2 and Heading 3 based on Heading 1. However, I had it set that way previously, and have gotten the same result either way.

I've attached mine if anybody would like to look at it.
Attachments
Tiered Numbering.rtf
(22.35 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

OK, the problem seems to be something very technical, but here it is. Even though your Heading styles have the "Headings" List style attached, you seem to have fiddled with the List Style definition independently. This seems to mean that the List Style of the Heading Style is not really the right List Style (I said it was technical :) ). I am attaching some graphics below to help with understanding this.

Here is the List style definition attached to the heading 2 style:
Blakers 1.jpg
Blakers 1.jpg (75.79 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
Here is the List style defintion:
Blakers 2.jpg
Blakers 2.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
As you can see they are not the same. :o

The solution for you is to remove the List styles from your heading styles, save the file, close/reopen and then reapply the List styles to the heading styles. If you want to change the List style definitions, do this on the List style directly (i.e., make sure you have the List style selected [blue frame in the style sheet view], and the approriate level selected)

If you think the Nisus List Styles are way too finnicky, then I totally agree with you. Clearly Nisus has to look into making this system less delicate and prone to error.
philip
blakers76

Post by blakers76 »

Thank you. That sorted it all out. You're right, I was editing the list style independently from the heading style. I didn't realize this would create two "versions" of the same list style.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for the detailed analysis Philip. I'll just add one clarification: the numbering does not restart merely because of the custom level format applied to the heading style. In this document the numbering restarts because the "Heading 2" style actually has a restart numbering attribute applied. Unfortunately this attribute is summarized/hidden by the catch-all "Custom List Bullet" attribute bubble. I agree that this situation is confusing and we need to split these out so the attribute is not hidden and its affect is made clear to the user. Sorry for the confusion.