Setting heading numbering font different from heading font

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
blakers76

Setting heading numbering font different from heading font

Post by blakers76 »

Is there a way to set the number of an automatically numbered heading to a different font that the heading itself (other than by manually applying the different font)? For instance, in the example below, the heading number is not italicized while the heading text is. Some word processers allow this to be done automatically, but I cannot figure out how to do it NWP.
Heading.png
Heading.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 8130 times
phspaelti

Re: Setting heading numbering font different from heading fo

Post by phspaelti »

There is no built-in way to do this, but you can try one of the following:
  • You can apply style definitions to the List Style. I actually don't recommend this, because List Styles seem to turn flaky when given style attributes.
  • A better solution is to use a character style on the numbers. To avoid the tedium of adding this by hand each time, you could apply it using a macro. The macro for applying the style would have 3 lines: <Apply the character style><Apply the paragraph style><Apply[Remove] the character style>
  • Alternatively you could apply the character style "at the end" using Find/Replace (or a macro based on Find/Replace)
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:There is no built-in way to do this, but you can try one of the following:
  • You can apply style definitions to the List Style. I actually don't recommend this, because List Styles seem to turn flaky when given style attributes.
I think Philip is saying that you can apply the alternate font/formatting to the list levels of the list style; this is the build-in way to do this.

Basically you will configure each of your list style's levels (or all levels at once) to enforce whatever font/formatting you desire. You will then apply this list style to your paragraph style (eg: apply the "Headings" list style to your "Heading 1" paragraph style), and thus the paragraph style will enforce both your list style and the custom list level number formatting.

Philip's impression that this was a little flaky isn't untrue, but with Pro 2.0.1 we fixed a variety of bugs related to having list levels enforce font/formatting. If you see any bugs, or anything unexpected happens, please let me know.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Ok, I see that I was too dismissive. Indeed one can apply style attributes to the List levels individually, and they carry through. That's nice :love: . There are two limitiations that I see however, one in particular is likely to be a problem for blakers.

First one can only apply attributes, but not apply a character style to the list level.

Second one can't apply "unitalic", i.e., set up the list style to remove "italic", which seems to be what blakers needs here. Or am I mistaken? Is there a way to apply "unitalic", "unbold", etc. Those attributes seem to only exist for "based on" styles. But they really should be generally available in the Style sheet.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

On those points you are quite correct Philip: one can't enforce character styles or "un" attributes through list style levels. Well, an enhancement to file for the future, thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Setting heading numbering font different from heading font

Post by martin »

This is a very old topic, but for the benefit of anyone that finds this post in a search, Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1 allows you to easily configure your list styles to enforce the removal of formatting like "unbold". For more details please see the user guide section on list formatting.