Smart Quotes--Nisus to Word for PC

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Publius

Smart Quotes--Nisus to Word for PC

Post by Publius »

When I type a document in NWP (2.0 with latest update and using OS 10.6.8), I use smart quotes. I then send it to my work PC where I must use MS Word 2003. Whether I send the document to work in .rtf or .doc, format, it opens with the smart quotes. However, I am unable to type any new smart quotes on the pc. All future quotes come out as straight quotes. I have checked out the auto formatting functions and all seems well. I have tried toggling the auto formatting between straight and smart quotes to no avail. The only way I have been able to type smart quotes on those pages is to do a find and replace.
Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?
Ruchama

Re: Smart Quotes--Nisus to Word for PC

Post by Ruchama »

It looks like a Word question to me, but have you tried to use smart quotes on a new document in Word? on an old Word document? does it work but only doesn't when the source is NWP?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I agree with Ruchama on this: it sounds like you need to change your preferences in Word so that any quotes you type are smart quotes. A quick search on google turned up this tip on how to disable smart quotes; that same setting should allow you to turn smart quotes on in Word.
Publius

Post by Publius »

Thanks for the suggestions, although as I tried to explain in my first post, I did work with the autoformatting feature in Word but to no avail.
In an effort to isolate the problem, I obtained a copy of iWork Pages and experimented with it. This program is clearly not as user friendly nor as comprehensive as NWP.
I wrote a document in Pages using smart quotes and saved it as a Word document and exported another copy of the Pages document as a Word document and e-mailed them to my PC at work. As with NWP, both of the documents originally drafted in Pages opened with the smart quotes intact. But unlike the NWP documents, I was able to type more smart quotes and apostrophes without any difficulty.
Any thoughts?
Publius

Post by Publius »

No other thoughts?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I can only assume that Word has some kind of option that allows the user to disable/enable AutoCorrect on a per-document basis. Unfortunately I haven't been able to turn up anything on where you might change/configure this option, nor on how NWP might save it to an RTF file. Looking in Microsoft's RTF spec doesn't turn anything up either.

I tried with my local copy of Word, and files saved by NWP work just fine. There's one thing you could do to help us:

1. Make a new document in Word, where smart/curly quotes are working properly. Save this file as RTF. Now close and reopen the file, and verify that smart quotes are still functional.
2. Open a NWP produced RTF file in Word. Using Word, resaved this file as RTF. Again, close and reopen the file in Word, and verify that smart quotes are still not functional.

If that checks out, please send me a copy of both files (from steps 1 and 2). You can post them here, or use the NWP menu Help > Send Feedback. Thanks!