iPad compatible NWP?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Foxofjapan

iPad compatible NWP?

Post by Foxofjapan »

Do you have any plan to release NWP for the iPad in the future?

Michael
Denae Floch

Re: iPad compatible NWP?

Post by Denae Floch »

Here's my problem. I want to be able to take files (created in Nisus) and move them to the iPad, read/edit them using pages, and then return them to the Mac. However, Nisus .rft format is unreadable by Pages on the iPad. I haven't experimented extensively, but I emailed a test file to myself which I tried opening using an iPad at an Apple store - and tried opening it. Mail opened it, but Pages wouldn't. So I could read the file, but I couldn't edit it.

Pages is supposed to open .doc files. However, when I saved my test file created by Nisus as a .doc file and tried opening it on the iPad, it was completely unreadable. Mail couldn't open it. Pages couldn't open it.

I haven't figured out a workaround yet. I didn't try using the Nisus export feature yet. I could open my Nisus files in Neooffice or openoffice or even MSWord, resave them in a better .doc format, and that should work - but it's a lot of extra steps.
dshan

Post by dshan »

Denae Floch wrote:Here's my problem. I want to be able to take files (created in Nisus) and move them to the iPad, read/edit them using pages, and then return them to the Mac. However, Nisus .rft format is unreadable by Pages on the iPad. I haven't experimented extensively, but I emailed a test file to myself which I tried opening using an iPad at an Apple store - and tried opening it. Mail opened it, but Pages wouldn't. So I could read the file, but I couldn't edit it.

Pages is supposed to open .doc files. However, when I saved my test file created by Nisus as a .doc file and tried opening it on the iPad, it was completely unreadable. Mail couldn't open it. Pages couldn't open it.

I haven't figured out a workaround yet. I didn't try using the Nisus export feature yet. I could open my Nisus files in Neooffice or openoffice or even MSWord, resave them in a better .doc format, and that should work - but it's a lot of extra steps.
You have to use the NWP File>Export As... menu rather than the File>Save As... command to create the .doc file. Nisus saves files created with File>Save as... as RTF files with a .doc extension (which works fine with Word but not Pages or Apple Mail (or most other 3rd party "Word-compatible" apps on iOS, OS X or Windows for that matter)). But if you use the File>Export As... menu instead it creates a real binary Word format file that Pages can read.

I know of no iOS apps that can read or write RTF files, for some reason Apple seems determined to not support RTF on iOS. This is a major problem for Nisus and iOS devices unfortunately as having to use binary .doc files to send stuff back and forth between NWP and Pages for iOS is unsatisfactory to say the least as it's not the native file format for either app.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -
I know of no iOS apps that can read or write RTF files, for some reason Apple seems determined to not support RTF on iOS.
looks like coming iOS 5 will support RTF somehow - but I have no iPad available to check myself.

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
dshan

Post by dshan »

Elbrecht wrote:Hi -
I know of no iOS apps that can read or write RTF files, for some reason Apple seems determined to not support RTF on iOS.
looks like coming iOS 5 will support RTF somehow - but I have no iPad available to check myself.

HE
Hey that'd be excellent, but I've not heard about it before (and I do have an iPad, so I'd love to try it as soon as I get my hands on iOS 5). Where did you hear about this?
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

sorry my source was in German :
Texte können im Rich-Text-Format formatiert werden, also sind zum Beispiel Hervorhebungen (fett/kursiv) möglich.
but Google for "iOS 5 RTF" :

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
ptram

Post by ptram »

I suggest to follow the MultiMarkDown way to exchange data between NWP and the iPad. There are a few macros that help doing this exchange effortlessly:

http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... own#p16111

Sometimes I miss italics, but I like the added *cleanness* of writing on the iPad (or the iPhone, for that matter).

Paolo
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

By now, you all know that iOS5 does NOT support rtf. Which I find utterly ridiculous generally speaking, but it makes sense if you wish your clients to buy Pages. I'll try the export trick. Maybe it will make me use the iPad more. It's great for reading, but it's really disappointing for writing more than short texts.
Anne
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Anne Cuneo wrote:By now, you all know that iOS5 does NOT support rtf. Which I find utterly ridiculous generally speaking, but it makes sense if you wish your clients to buy Pages. I'll try the export trick. Maybe it will make me use the iPad more. It's great for reading, but it's really disappointing for writing more than short texts.
I agree.

Also I do not understand why Apple didn't make it possible to do some file management on the iPad
with Terminal or something like that, for example to remove the previous recipients file from iPad Mail.
:x

Dirk Barends
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Also I do not understand why Apple didn't make it possible to do some file management on the iPad
with Terminal or something like that, for example to remove the previous recipients file from iPad Mail.
And I agree with what you say, Dirk Barends. It exasperates me not to be able not only to remove the previous recipients, but also not to be able to mark all as read, and to mark the spam that arrives in my mailboxes in spite of all filters.
I keep hearing people who tell me all the things you can do on the iPad. For me, it is useful only for one thing: reading. And even then… Please don't laugh, but it is too big to read in bed, and I end up reading from my phone; I am going through Sherlock Holmes at the moment, the whole lot (which I never did before, I had read one story here one story there), on my phone in waiting rooms, on short journey where I don't want to take a large bag. And when I want to work, I take my MacBook Air 11", which does more than the iPad, and is a serious computer (practically the same size, and 1 kg against 650 g for the iPad without the keyboard, over one kilo with it). I only have an iPad because it was a present, but I should give it away, really.
You have now the explanation why I stopped asking for nisus for iPad.
:D
Anne
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Anne Cuneo wrote:I am going through Sherlock Holmes at the moment, the whole lot (which I never did before, I had read one story here one story there), on my phone in waiting rooms, on short journey where I don't want to take a large bag
Ah, I love all the Sherlock Holmes short stories! I'd like to recommend the TV series starring Jeremy Brett, produced by Granada some years back; they're very charming.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Anne Cuneo wrote:
And I agree with what you say, Dirk Barends. It exasperates me not to be able not only to remove the previous recipients, but also not to be able to mark all as read, and to mark the spam that arrives in my mailboxes in spite of all filters.
I keep hearing people who tell me all the things you can do on the iPad. For me, it is useful only for one thing: reading. And even then… Please don't laugh, but it is too big to read in bed, and I end up reading from my phone; I am going through Sherlock Holmes at the moment, the whole lot (which I never did before, I had read one story here one story there), on my phone in waiting rooms, on short journey where I don't want to take a large bag. And when I want to work, I take my MacBook Air 11", which does more than the iPad, and is a serious computer (practically the same size, and 1 kg against 650 g for the iPad without the keyboard, over one kilo with it). I only have an iPad because it was a present, but I should give it away, really.
You have now the explanation why I stopped asking for nisus for iPad.
:D
Anne, thank you for this. I have a MBP 15” (2008) and have been considering an iPad or Kindle Fire or Air 13”. Based on your experience, and the iPad is essentially a reader, I think the Kindle Fire and Air would be an ideal combinationfor me.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I don't have an iPad, though everyone keeps thinking of me as an Apple evangelist and asking why I don't. The answer is essentially that while I'd love one as a "toy", that's just what it would be ... I can't justify buying one to myself. I too read in bed or on journeys etc. using my iPhone or iPod Touch and get on fine. An iPad would be clumsier than that. My MBA 13" is not much heavier and much less clumsy than an iPad and separate keyboard would be ... and I'd want a proper keyboard ... and is infinitely more powerful. I don't play games.

So what would I use an iPad for? The only thing I sometimes think is that I could take it into class to do my keynote presentations. But then I'd be tethered, whereas using Keynote on the MBA with an ad hoc wireless network linking it to Keynote Remote on the iPhone means I'm untethered.

No, lovely as they are, I can't justify one.

Mark
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I think the Kindle Fire and Air would be an ideal combinationfor me.
I thought so too, then I borrowed a Kindle, and realized that with an iPhone4 and its wonderful screen, as a reading tool it's just great. I have a subscription to the monthly Le Monde diplomatique, and it's one of the things I read on the go, and the phone is no problem at all. So I put Kindle for iPhone on the iPhone (and Kindle for the iPad on the iPad), and since then, never a dull moment!
PS. Books like Sherlock Holmes are free of charge on Kindle, or 1$ as facsimile of some original edition. So I spent the dollar.
Anne
DavidSteward

Post by DavidSteward »

Are we any closer to an app, preferably from Nisus, that can read .rtf files?

I have just installed both iExplorer & Phone Disk on my iMac. Will need to watch the tutorials.

iExplorer opens up the iPad and you drag and drop files such as .pdfs into the Documents folder for the application and it appears on the iPad. It makes it very easy to transfer files from the iMac to the iPad 3. Just drag and drop into the relevant apps Documents folder. Tested it with a .pdf and it pens in PDFReader Lite on the iPad. Now all I need is an app from Nisus to open and possibly edit my .rtf files.

David