Secondary Font variation according to style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
enkidu

Secondary Font variation according to style

Post by enkidu »

Is it possible to set the secondary font size according to the style? I have set the secondary font in the Preferences with a specific size (main font 12 pt, secondary font [Hebrew] 11pt). This works fine unless I'm using a style with different default size (specifically footnotes). When I create a footnote and switch to Hebrew the font size switches to 11pt, and then when I switch back to English the font gets set to 12pt (rather than the 10pt I am using in the footnotes).

Is there a way around this?
Ruchama

Re: Secondary Font variation according to style

Post by Ruchama »

Did you define a style for the footnotes? or you use the default?

I am not sure I understand you fully: You would like to work with two different font sizes in the footnotes: 11 for hebrew, 10 for english. and when you switch to english from hebrew (in the footnote) the size changes to 12? What happens if you start with 10 english, change to hebrew and back to english - it does not go back to 10?
enkidu

Post by enkidu »

To clarify (hopefully!): I've set the preferences so that when I switch from English (body text 12 pt) to Hebrew, the font size for Hebrew changes to 11 pt. When I switch back to English, the size switches back to 12 pt.

That's all very nice.

However, in a footnote, where the English is 10 pt, when I switch to Hebrew it changes to 11 pt (I'd really like it to go to 9.5pt since the Hebrew font is visually larger than English), and then when I switch language back to English I am set to 12 pt (as it is set in Preferences).

So what I'm hoping to achieve is for NWP to always reduce my Hebrew secondary font size relative to the English font size of the current style.

I hope that's clearer!
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I would leave it for Martin or Mark to figure out whether there is a bug in what you are describing.
In order to try and reproduce this behavior, it would be helpful for me to see an image of your Language preferences in English and Hebrew.

However, I am almost sure that there is a way to define your font size relatively to the current size, through the macro option.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

I don't know if you can tie this to the style, but you can create a second instance of Hebrew in your language preferences. I set one up as "Hebrew Footnote" and it is a different size from what I typically use in the body. I have two different keyboard short cuts set so that with one I select my "body" Hebrew and the other I select my "footnote" Hebrew.

This isn't quite as automatic as what you're looking for, but it may suffice.

Mike
Attachments
Hebrew Footnote.gif
Hebrew Footnote.gif (30.67 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There isn't any way to have the language's secondary font size be dependent upon the active document style, sorry. Mike's suggestion to define a custom/second Hebrew language might help.

Ruchama's idea to use a macro could work too. I'll attach a macro here that will change the language to Hebrew and reduce the font size based on the current font size. You'll need to turn off the "also switch font size" option for your Hebrew language preference before using the macro. I'll also add a macro that restores English and the normal font.
Attachments
macros.zip
(6.34 KiB) Downloaded 416 times