Scrolling in NWP 2.0

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
phspaelti

Scrolling in NWP 2.0

Post by phspaelti »

I find that I am increasingly encountering a bothersome "blur" or "streaking" effect when scrolling in Nisus. When scrolling using the two finger swipe on my airmac, the screen becomes at first slightly blurry and then goes into a mode where a horizontal slice of the window is repeated to fill the screen, giving vertical streaks.
Have others seen this as well?
Attachments
NWP scroll bug 2.jpg
NWP scroll bug 2.jpg (79.09 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Scrolling in NWP 2.0

Post by rmark »

Philip,

Yes, indeed, sadly, I have seen this. However, I (we) have not been able to reliably reproduce the phenomenon: that is, we do not know the precise prior actions that cause it. Until we get more data, you and I (and whoever else has experienced this) will need to suffer.

So… anyone reading this: if you can reliably reproduce the blur, please post the "recipe" that creates it.

Otherwise we will simply have to report it to the Journal of Irreproducible Results.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_of ... le_Results
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Oh, believe me, it is reproducible. I was "playing" with it all weekend, until I got sick of it. I can't scroll properly on my air mac, since I can't see where I'm going.
However it seems that my old Powermac at the office (with a mouse) does not have this problem. My first suspicion is that it is limited to the two finger swipe of trackpads, but that is just a guess.
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Yes, I know it is reproducible. And, once it happens you need to quit and restart in order for the phenomenon to cease. However, I need to know the precise steps that occur before the phenomenon appears in order to reliably and repeatedly reproduce it. IIRC, it only happens (or begins to happen) when scrolling up. I only have a MacBook Pro and do not use a mouse, so your suspicion seems accurate. To offer another hint, at one point I thought it was related to changing the zoom ratio. Thank you for your tests and experiments.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Yes, it only happens when scrolling up.
The other missing ingredients are 1) it only happens in "Page View" and 2) it only happens when the Zoom is set to "Show Text Width".
So zooming (with the pinch movement), and then setting to "Show Text Width" (repeat once if necessary) causes it to start.

I find this particularly likely to happen because it is easy to accidentally zoom when working with a trackpad.
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Phiip,
Ah yes, of course Page View. And, I had not been aware of it being limited to Show Text Width.

I've found this:
I find this particularly likely to happen because it is easy to accidentally zoom when working with a trackpad.
to be so distracting that I've turned it off in System Preferences/Trackpad/Pinch Open & Close.
At one point I had the feeling that it followed my zooming the window (using View > Zoom, not the green Zoom button, but I've not been able to confirm that.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.