Downloading v2

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
GBAZL

Downloading v2

Post by GBAZL »

Hi

I have just downloaded NWP v2 15 day trial but in order to do that I had to replace my NWPv1 in the applications folder - there was no other choice.

What is there now is v2 - does that now mean that after the 15 days trial if I don't want to buy v2 then I have also lost the fully functional v1 - I hope not!!!!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Downloading v2

Post by martin »

You don't have to replace your existing copy of Nisus Writer Pro; you can have both copies on your hard drive, so long as they have different names.

In any case, if you don't like version 2, and don't want to upgrade, you can always download the old version and put it back into place.
GBAZL

Post by GBAZL »

There was no option to have V! and V2 with different names - it was replace or nothing - no other option!

Is that because i used the 8 minute mirror download rather than a 4 hour direct download?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GBAZL wrote:There was no option to have V! and V2 with different names - it was replace or nothing - no other option!
There's no explicit option, but you could simply rename either application in the Finder before moving version 2.0 into your Applications folder.
GBAZL

Post by GBAZL »

Now why didn't i think of that. Silly me, I just follow instructions when i download software.

I guess I have no choice now but to buy V2 after 15 days or not have a word processor. Thanks for your customer service guys.

And having just checked it has removed my licence details so i can't even just upgrade - i will have to pay for a new licence
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GBAZL wrote:I guess I have no choice now but to buy V2 after 15 days or not have a word processor.
That's not true. If you don't want to use version 2, just download version 1.4.1.
And having just checked it has removed my licence details so i can't even just upgrade - i will have to pay for a new licence
Version 2 does not recognize the licenses used by version 1, and vice versa. However, that doesn't mean you don't still have a valid license for version 1. Simply look at your version 1 receipt for your old license key; there's no need to buy a new license.
GBAZL

Post by GBAZL »

Yeah OK - it's just me, the customer being unreasonable.

I should have known to ignore the download instructions and figured out how to make a copy rather than replace my existing, fully paid for, software when it instructed me to.

I should also have made sure my original licence details were retained away from the software it related to in case your update deleted it.

Don't worry, i won't be a troublesome customer anymore.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GBAZL wrote:I should have known to ignore the download instructions and figured out how to make a copy rather than replace my existing, fully paid for, software when it instructed me to
We don't make it difficult to download version 1.x if that's the version you want to run. Just download it using the link I've given you.
I should also have made sure my original licence details were retained away from the software it related to in case your update deleted it.
If you don't have your receipt, looking up your existing version 1 license key is easy, just enter your email address into our license lookup. Be sure to use the same email address that placed the order.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Oh dear! :|

Cheers, geoff
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

Patience. Of. Job.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
GBAZL

Post by GBAZL »

Clearly its just me being too stupid to use your product.

I have tried downloading the old version but to install it again the only option is to overwite v2. I cannot find any way of changing the name (or the name of v2) so that both versions can sit on my HD. I just want a fully functional v1 while I have a look at v2 but obviously need far more knowledge of OSX than I have just to do that.

Am I really being that unreasonable and trying your patience?
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

GBAZL:

I do not work for Nisus and neither does Greenmorpher. And I think we are responding more to your tone than anything else. However, that's neither here nor there. I am going to tell you what to do here, but the first thing I need you to do afterward is get to know OS X (maybe read OS X: The Missing Manual). It will make your life much easier.

I want you to do exactly what I tell you here and you'll be successful:

1. Rename Version 2: Here's how you do it. You select "Nisus Writer Pro" in your Applications folder (Macintosh HD: Applications:Nisus Writer Pro). You select a file by clicking ONCE on it. If you DOUBLE-CLICK, it will open the file.

2. The name of the file should be in highlighted in dark blue. On your keyboard, press RETURN. This also can be an ENTER key if you're using a non-Apple keyboard.

3. The name of "Nisus Writer Pro" will then be highlighted in probably light blue with a bold border around it. This is how you rename files in OS X. Type this in: Nisus Writer Pro v2 and then press Return again.

4. Now, as Martin told you, download the older version of NWP from http://nisus.com/pro/oldversions.php. Copy this into your Applications folder (it will not overwrite this time because it is not named the same). You will now have two versions of NWP on your hard drive. First, "Nisus Writer Pro v2" will be 2.0 and "Nisus Writer Pro" will be 1.4. Easy as pie.

5. If you need to look up your license for Nisus Writer Pro 1.x, then you can do so at http://nisus.com/support/license.php. You will need to enter the email address you used when you purchased. You do not need to buy a license, as Martin expalined.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Kino

Post by Kino »

GBAZL wrote:I cannot find any way of changing the name (or the name of v2) so that both versions can sit on my HD.
Why don't you create a folder, for example, '/Application/Older Version/' and put NWP 1.4.1 in it? Then, you can put NWP 2.0 in '/Application/' and it will not overwrite NWP 1.4.1. I'm not very sure if this is what you want to do, though.
GBAZL

Post by GBAZL »

scottwhitlock - thanks for the help - it now works and the download version 1 picked up my licence details from somewhere without me doing anything with it! Apologies for the "tone" it wasn't meant as harsh as it came out and just frustration I guess. I expect things to "just work" and I couldn't see the logic of overwriting a working version with a trial version the end result of which seemed to be forcing me to buy and the assumption I had OSX knowledge that i hadn't.

Anyway thanks again for your patience.

Kino - thanks for the suggestion

Martin - apologies for my "tone"
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks to everyone for helping out here.
GBAZL wrote:Martin - apologies for my "tone"
No problem! I'm just happy that you've found a way to get everything working the way you'd like.