Changing icons in Safari

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
exegete77

Changing icons in Safari

Post by exegete77 »

When I tried to put NWP 2 into the Applications folder, it warned that it could not because the .plist was being used (NWP was not running). So I quit Safari. Now almost all the icons in Safari (next to the name) have turned into NWP icons. See the screenshot of Safari drop down.
Attachments
NWP Screen.png
NWP Screen.png (97.87 KiB) Viewed 16975 times
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
Hamid

Re: Changing icons in Safari

Post by Hamid »

Same problem with Mailbox icons: they appear as NWP icons.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The problem is caused by the file FileIcon-NWP-Macro.icns in Resources inside NWP 2.0 app.
A temporary fix is to drag that file out of Resources.
Then relaunch Safari and Mail.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, this does appear to be caused by NWP v2. There's a typo of sorts in NWP's "Info.plist", which tells OSX what kinds of files the application can handle (and where to find associated icons). For whatever reason, the typo triggers OSX to decide that it should use NWP's macro file icon as the generic folder icon.

Personally I think it's crazy that OSX lets a file inside NWP control how folders look in other apps. I can assure you we had no intention of messing about with the icons of other applications, nor would we ever try.

We've corrected the typo and are uploading new versions of NWP v2 now- hopefully before everyone has downloaded. We'll post in this thread again when we have updated files to correct this.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

[Edited forum reply to remove instruction on how to modify Info.plist]
A user told me privately that editing the plist worked, but that he also had to rebuild his LaunchServices database, which isn't so straightforward. I'm removing my instructions to prevent further confusion.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Very weird indeed! How could Apple let these sort of things happen? It's evident the software is not as safe as we thought. I wonder if this'll change in Lion?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Okay, if you're running the default (Intel) version of NWP 2.0 we have an updated download available. You'll need to completely trash your prior copy of NWP v2, otherwise it will continue to undesirably affect folder icons on your system.

Sorry Jester, I know you're already waiting for your first download to finish- let alone a second! Hopefully we nip this before most users have even discovered there's an update available.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for (hopefully) fixing this so quickly. I was starting to see your icon in all sorts of strange places - LaunchBar, MailMate etc.

Personally I think it was an attempt at subliminal advertising :)
Jester

Post by Jester »

martin wrote:Okay, if you're running the default (Intel) version of NWP 2.0 we have an updated download available. You'll need to completely trash your prior copy of NWP v2, otherwise it will continue to undesirably affect folder icons on your system.

Sorry Jester, I know you're already waiting for your first download to finish- let alone a second! Hopefully we nip this before most users have even discovered there's an update available.
Don't apologise, it's not your fault that I forgot that I was watching a "rather long" U Tube video and forgot about it. After I noticed the download finished in 12 minutes, but I had to go have breakfast, so I had to wait more :( . More than worth it, though! :)

The version I downloaded was OK, no problem with the icons.
SteveH wrote:Thanks for (hopefully) fixing this so quickly. I was starting to see your icon in all sorts of strange places - LaunchBar, MailMate etc.

Personally I think it was an attempt at subliminal advertising :)
Definitely, the tricky bastards at Nisus are just like that, always thinking about the money and not the customers.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Can you post some more specific instructions on what is meant by "completely trash your prior copy of NWP v2"? I downloaded the fixed version and replaced the previous one but my Safari and Mail icons still have the little Nisus man (not that this isn't an improvement :) )
philip
Kino

Post by Kino »

phspaelti wrote:Can you post some more specific instructions on what is meant by "completely trash your prior copy of NWP v2"?
Rebuild LaunchServices database, using a GUI utility like Onyx if you are not familiar with CUI, and relaunch Mail, Safari, and other affected apps if any.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

After installing the corrected copy, I had to rebuild Launch Services database. Now all icons have been correctly restored.

Rebuilding Launch Services database will also cause NWP rtf files to be associated with TextEdit app.
Select an rtf file icon in the Finder and from the Get Info pane re-associate all files of that type to NWP (by pressing the Change All button).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If you don't want to download a separate tool to rebuild the LaunchServices database, you could also use a command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
telemachos

Post by telemachos »

phspaelti wrote:Can you post some more specific instructions on what is meant by "completely trash your prior copy of NWP v2"? I downloaded the fixed version and replaced the previous one but my Safari and Mail icons still have the little Nisus man (not that this isn't an improvement :) )
Weird. I didn't have to do that. Deleted NWP 2 and relaunching Mail fixed the problem.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Some users might not have to rebuild their LaunchServices database. It depends on how aggressively OSX (or some application) was caching folder icons. Before taking any extra steps, I just recommend:

1. Move the bad copy of Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) to the trash.
2. Move the new/fixed copy of NWP to your applications folder.
3. Empty the trash.
4. Log out of the current user; log back in.

That might solve it for most users.