Nisus Pro 2

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Jester

Nisus Pro 2

Post by Jester »

We have been silent over the last year or so. Our last update to Pro was a little over a year ago. However, that doesn't mean we haven't been working. On the contrary, we have been working very hard. Unlike other companies (looking at you, Microsoft), we don't like to announce anything until we know we can deliver. We know this upsets people at times but we would rather not say anything until we can back up what we promise.

So having said all of that, I can say a few things about what we have been working on. I have to be careful what I say here, as I am being watched and if I reveal too much will receive a beating and a stern talking to. I fear the talk!

Anyway, this update, which will be called Nisus Writer Pro 2, is a big one. We have worked hard on a couple of huge features: track changes and a suite of drawing tools (shapes, lines, floating text boxes). Those features alone took a great deal of time. There are other features, but those two are the ones I can talk about for the moment. We will announce the other features when we release, which should be in the next few weeks. Hopefully sooner.

The other issue I would like to mention is that Nisus Writer Pro 2 will be a paid upgrade. The price will be $49 to download the upgrade, and a CD version will be available for an extra $10 plus shipping. The full version is $79. There will also be a family pack and academic pricing.

So that's the update for now. More after we finalize everything and are ready to release.
YEAHH!!!! Can't wait! Nisus is one of the few software that I actually have legally installed in my computer (i.e. not pirated). And, as a loyal follower of the mighty Nisus, I will definitely buy the upgrade when it comes out.

Thanks for including Track Changes!
ptram

Re: Nisus Pro 2

Post by ptram »

Have you noticed there is no mention of a vertical ruler? :-P

Paolo
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

ptram wrote:Have you noticed there is no mention of a vertical ruler? :-P

Paolo
Shhhhh.... Don’t tell Geoff. :lol: :D
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

No vertical ruler with drawing tools? You must be joking! Actually, I would rather have a database than drawing tools! Say what?

BUT -- that said, no vertical ruler and they can forget the stern talking to. Paolo raising the matter led to an instant thought of a way to properly redress any lack of towing the line by the Nisus lads in respect of a vertical ruler.

I have some friends in the hairdressing and beauty trades in Papua New Guinea, where the wages are lousy (even lower than USA) so they would jump at the chance of a bit of spending money plus free trip to LA, ultimate destination Solano, to apply extreme brazilians all round with extreme heated wax.

The circus will be invitation only with free champagne and canapes between applications to the (un)lucky recipients, with invitees expected to throw a little something into the hat to defray expenses and to donate a little extra for the pleasure of applying the extra hot wax themselves under the tutelage of the girls. If, sadly, they turn out to be rather poor students of the art, or just plain clumsy, and splash a little -- even a lot of -- wax onto particularly sensitive parts, they will be allowed to forego the extra donation!

I won't ask for expressions of interest now. Let's wait until we see NWP 2. :)

Sounds pretty darned good, though, doesn't it? I mean NWP 2, not the hot wax brazilians!

Cheers, geoff
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Glad you are on MY side, Geoff.

So, how do we really get tickets to this “production”?
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Control yourself, exegate, you sound altogether too eager. You’re showing signs of being a direct lineal descendant of an early Roman emperor. Let's just wait until we see whether the Solanoids have got the message or not.

Then if they haven't ... :o

Cheers, geoff
threestain

Post by threestain »

now I'm far far far too eager to get the next version!!!!

damnit first papers teased me for 2 weeks and now nisus...
zwick_genetics

Post by zwick_genetics »

Just to note the obvious:

June 6-10 WWDC 2011 with the release of Lion

I am looking forward to upgrading my lab!

Mike
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

OMG -- I wondered about that. I hope NWP doesn't rely on new Lion capabilities -- I'm sticking with X.6.x. I need Rosetta to keep running Canvas X. Phooey to Steve the wonder. Here's an interesting discussion in respect of X.7

http://lowendmac.com/misc/11mr/mb-rosetta.html

Cheers, geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

Geoff I'm sure you have nothing to worry about as far as Lion is concerned. Unless you want to use the vertical ruler in NWP 2.0 of course, that's certain to require Mac OS X 10.7. :)
Jester

Post by Jester »

greenmorpher wrote:OMG -- I wondered about that. I hope NWP doesn't rely on new Lion capabilities -- I'm sticking with X.6.x. I need Rosetta to keep running Canvas X. Phooey to Steve the wonder. Here's an interesting discussion in respect of X.7

http://lowendmac.com/misc/11mr/mb-rosetta.html

Cheers, geoff
Most interesting post!!!! Thanks for sharing, many kudos to you! :drunk:

I've been thinking of the Lion upgrade, and I think I'll wait a bit after it's released. It's not only that I don't feel very comfortable with Apple leaving Rosetta, but, to be honest, with the exception of the new file-saving software, most of the new features seem superfluous.

My sister uses my old PPC iMac (the one that sticks out the tongue – even if the CD unit doesn't work anymore :p ), and she only writes on NWP (just like me, good for us). I think the answer is an obvious "oui", but will NWP 2 be compatible with PPC users?

So NWP 2 comes out the same day as Lion?
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

This thread starts to loose its contact with earth.. Who said anything concerning any relation between Lion and NWP 2?
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ruchama wrote:This thread starts to loose its contact with earth.. Who said anything concerning any relation between Lion and NWP 2?
Propinquity in that nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

Assuming NWP continues to be reliant on the OS X text engine, then any (of the long awaited) improvements to the text engine will be reflected in NWP one would have thought. Will the text engine be improved? Since Lion is supposed to be the new beginning for OS X then it is perfectly reasonable to expect that includes the text engine.

On the other hand, Nisus might have spent the long interval not only working on a graphics overlay but also on building their own text engine so as to break free of Apple's whims and fancies. Who knows? Well, obviously some people do, but I don't. I'm all agog!

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
Jester

Post by Jester »

Ruchama wrote:This thread starts to loose its contact with earth.. Who said anything concerning any relation between Lion and NWP 2?
I did I did! :) . I keep reading your username as Rihanna hahaha.
greenmorpher wrote:
Assuming NWP continues to be reliant on the OS X text engine, then any (of the long awaited) improvements to the text engine will be reflected in NWP one would have thought. Will the text engine be improved? Since Lion is supposed to be the new beginning for OS X then it is perfectly reasonable to expect that includes the text engine.

On the other hand, Nisus might have spent the long interval not only working on a graphics overlay but also on building their own text engine so as to break free of Apple's whims and fancies. Who knows? Well, obviously some people do, but I don't. I'm all agog!

Cheers, geoff
I'm all agog too! Can't wait to see the changes!!! And I love to say the word "agog". And I wonder if they changed the icon of Mercurius.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Jester -

…mere curious about Nisus 2.0
But the Lion get's it all…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4