[SOLVED, with workaround] ToolDrawer too small?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
InspiredWriter

[SOLVED, with workaround] ToolDrawer too small?

Post by InspiredWriter »

Hi folks,
I am trying out Nisus Writer Pro.
I've imported an OpenOffice Writer doc just to have a play around with a relatively complex document off the bat.

The only issue I've run into so far is that the ToolDrawer to the right does not come out far enough. It seems I can grab and drag it a little bit further than where it started out at, but then it stops. I gather some kind of limit has been put on it within the Nisus program.

The issue with this is that I can't distinguish my style names within this document. Because it displays the styles in WYSIWYG format (which is my preference, so that's nice), many of the styles need more space to identify them by name. It makes working on this particular document nearly impossible, or at least incredibly tedious.

I think the issue is made worse by two things: 1) This document has many styles, which makes Nisus list then in a scrollable way… which adds in a second scroll bar, taking away perhaps 10% of the already limited available space; and 2) some of these styles have quite large font sizes which makes them only show a couple of first and last letters of their style name AND/OR they have long names in order to make them descriptive enough to identify in a document where there are so many styles.

Is there any way around this? Something I can change in a plist file, or anyway at all?

Other than this immediate issue, Nisus looks great so far. Another nicety of my recent move to Mac.

:: One other question that now comes to mind: Is there any way to tell Nisus to only display the styles that are in use? Similar to the way MS Word and OO Writer (and most other word processors I have used) allow?

With much thanks…

James

::UPDATE::
I managed to get rid of the primary scroller by making sure the panels on the tool drawer were not going off the bottom. That gives me a little more space, but still not enough.
Last edited by InspiredWriter on 2011-03-04 23:30:41, edited 1 time in total.
Kino

Re: ToolDrawer too small?

Post by Kino »

Welcome to the forum! I don’t know if this fits your way of working with a word processor but you can tear off the palette by dragging it out of the drawer so that it becomes a floating palette. Then, you can enlarge it by dragging the tiny triangle at the right bottom of the palette.
StylePalette.png
StylePalette.png (48.02 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
Kino

Post by Kino »

InspiredWriter wrote:Something I can change in a plist file […]?
If I’m not mistaken, there is no hidden option in NWP. I think it is their policy to make all features visible and accessible to all users.
Is there any way to tell Nisus to only display the styles that are in use?
I’m afraid you cannot. Me too, I’d like to have the ability to toggle between Show All Styles and Show Used Styles. it’s worth sending them a feedback requesting such a feature. In my experience, they are very eager in adding new features or improving the existing ones as far as their time and resources allow.
InspiredWriter

Post by InspiredWriter »

Thanks Kino. You're a gem.
Whilst I think Nisus should allow the drawer to be expanded to whatever size the users desires, your solution will do the trick for me just fine.

Excellent. I was getting worried this odd "feature" of a limited drawer was going to put me of an otherwise excellent word processor.