"Save as" to a drop box

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
phspaelti

"Save as" to a drop box

Post by phspaelti »

This may perhaps not be a Nisus problem, but I have noticed that it is not possible to use "save as" to save a file to the drop box of another user. A dialog tells me that I do not have permission for the relevant action. Why is this? Can anything be done about it?
(Of course I can first save the file and then drag it to the drop-box in the finder, but I wanted to avoid the extra save).
philip
Kino

Re: "Save as" to a drop box

Post by Kino »

You can write a macro for that using Save To $path, which seems to work for ‘/Users/someone/Public/Drop Box/testfile.rtf’, for example. (The path is fictional: I don’t have /Users on the boot partition.)
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

As I'm now back in China, I can't access DropBox, so I can't test it, but two things strike me:

1) Are you trying to save to the "Public" folder within the other user's DropBox account? My memory says there is one, and that it may be possible to enable that folder for uploading by others, as with the "Photos" folder.

2) If you are going to have to do much of this, the answer would be to set up a shared folder with the other user within your own DropBox accounts. I can testify to this working well, as I use the facility regularly with my wife ... when I can log in to DropBox, that is. If you do that, you can save to that folder without any let or hindrance, in the normal way.

Mark
Kino

Post by Kino »

phspaelti wrote:Why is this?
You don’t have the read permission to others’ /Drop Box. Then, the behaviour of Save As looks logical. However, you have the read permission to your document saved there itself. So you can still open it, for example, using open command.

You cannot use Save To (without a file path) either, presumably because the dialog box thus invoked is substantially the same as Save As dialog.

Mark, what the original poster is speaking about is not Dropbox (which I’m using a lot) but ‘/Users/someone/Public/Drop Box’ (which I have never used).