Weird paragraph style behavior with TOC

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
loulesko

Weird paragraph style behavior with TOC

Post by loulesko »

Hey all,

I have my Paragraph Style Heading 1 set to bold and align center. After typing the text I need in the Heading 1 style, I type a CR and then switch to Normal style and type away. Sometimes the text from the normal style ends up in the TOC in the Navigator. The only way to avoid this is to enter two CR after the Heading 1 text. I can't reproduce the issue all the time, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

thanks
Lou
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Weird paragraph style behavior with TOC

Post by rmark »

Lou,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro.

Those intermittent problems are the worst to solve.

The next time you see this happen, please choose Send Feedback from the Help menu inside Nisus Writer Pro. Be sure to include the file in question along with a description of the situation. Rest assured, if this is your private draft of The Great American Novel, we'll treat the document with the utmost confidentiality.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

By 'TOC' do you mean the navigator pane? In that case I am pretty sure I have experienced the same thing.
philip
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Yes that's correct the navigator pane.

thanks
Lou
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I am pretty sure that one is reproducible, since I was getting it regularly for a while. I'll have to think again about what set of steps I was using at the time to cause it.
philip
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

I'll try the same. I got underwater with an assignment, but I can monkey around with this over the weekend.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I had a look at our issue tracker, and we don't have any issues open that would create errant TOC navigator entries Lou describes. I saw we fixed some TOC/Navigator issues a while back for NWP 1.3, but there's no interim unreleased fixes pending.

So yes, some monkeying around would be appreciated, thanks guys! Hopefully you have some other weekend plans as well :P
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Okay, el monkey was able to reproduce the bug;

1. New Document
2. TOC Navigator Showing
3. Switch Paragraph Style to Heading 1 and type a few syllables
4. Type a Carriage Return
5. Switch to Paragraph Style Normal and type a bit.
6. Select all and delete.
7. Cursor is left in Heading 1 state - type a few words
4. Type a Carriage Return
5. Switch to Paragraph Style Normal and type a bit and you'll see the text from the Normal Paragraph Style start to show up in the TOC Navigator.

Was able to reproduce this several times without fail. Also sent my test doc from the NWP feedback routine. Phspaelti do you get the same result? How about your Martin?

Also you should know my Heading 1 is centered.

Lou
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the problem.
What is the 'Next Style' in your 'Heading 1' style in the Style Sheet?
Mine is 'Normal':
Attachments
NextStyle.png
NextStyle.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 13700 times
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Hamid,

Mine says Heading 1 - maybe that's the problem. Can you or someone explain what that "Next Style" setting does or is. My settings were based on what was the default template that came with NWP.

I'll play around with that setting and write back.

thanks
Lou
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Okay y'all, Hamid gets the free cocktails today. That was indeed the problem. Well done Hamid, and thanks for being involved. I'm sure Martin will be happy to know that it doesn't seem to be a bug.

thanks
Lou
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

loulesko wrote:Can you or someone explain what that "Next Style" setting does or is.
Hi loulesko,

in case you haven't found out yourself: the "Next Style" setting indicates which style the next paragraph is going to be in. If "Heading 1" is configured with "Normal" as the "Next Style", then hitting enter (after writing in Heading 1) will create a new paragraph in Normal style.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The fact that you had step 5 (Switch to Paragraph Style Normal and type a bit.), in your post above, seemed odd to me.

When a paragraph style is used less frequently in succession, as is a Heading style, the 'Next Style' is set by default to restore your Normal style when you press Return.

When a paragraph style is used frequently in succession, as is the one with first line indent, the 'Next Style' of that style is the same style, so when you press Return you continue to have the same paragraph style.
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Hamid and mrennie - thank you both for the replies and the education. Now that I know how it works I'm even more impressed with NWP.

Lou
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

loulesko wrote:Okay y'all, Hamid gets the free cocktails today. That was indeed the problem. Well done Hamid, and thanks for being involved.
Hamid definitely deserves some free drinks for all the help he gives here!
I'm sure Martin will be happy to know that it doesn't seem to be a bug.
I'd still consider this to be a bug, as the 2nd paragraph was put into Normal style (one way or another), and thus shouldn't be included in the TOC. Perhaps you can avoid the bug by having a less weird style setup, but it's an unwanted behavior nonetheless. Thanks for the detailed list of steps and sample document Lou. We'll look into it.