Odd spelling errors not marked

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

Odd spelling errors not marked

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello all

I am getting odd spelling errors not marked -- quite a few of them.

i've been trying to pikck a pattern, but I can't see one.

Just a moment ago, I typed "no" but got "noi", i.e. I obviously hit the "i" in a secondary way when I hit the "o".

Not marked as an error by NWP.

Odd.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher

Re: Odd spelling errors not marked

Post by greenmorpher »

Now I've just got "wsould". Unmarked. :?

Cheers, Geoff
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

HOW ABOUT "SYMNME3TRY"? You'd think NWP + Apple would notice something a little off there.

I'm using the US dictionary, by the way.

Cheers, Geoff
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Are you sure your text is marked with a language attribute that has an associated spelling dictionary? Otherwise, you might try restarting NWP. Perhaps something went awry with the spelling server, or NWP's connection to it.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

US English throughout, Martin.

What do you mean by "the spelling server" and NWP's "connection" to it?

Cheers, Geoff
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

I believe Martin is referring to the class that is used in the code to indicate that the spelling service is available. The class is referred to as a 'spelling server'. Applications look for services that are made available and then call for them when needed. So, this isn't a web server or connection in the usual way we might use those terms, but rather a bit of code language from the implementation of services in OS X.

For more, you can read about creating spelling servers at: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... erver.html

Mike
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Mike is exactly right, and I apologize for my jargon. NWP uses OSX's built-in spelling dictionaries, which are accessed by NWP via the system spelling server (basically an invisible application run by OSX itself that handles spell checking for all your apps). It's a technical detail that one doesn't really need to know. In any case, I thought restarting NWP (and/or OSX) might reset something related to all that. Did you try that? How did it go?
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hiya Martin

Thanks to Mike and you for clarifying that. I assumed it had to be something like that, but then thought: "Well, you never know!" And the reason why I thought that was that this is a longstanding problem. It was particularly marked in recent weeks because I have been working on my laptop in a Windows/MS Weird environment and one of my colleagues, while liking what he saw of the NWP interface and capabilities, was nevertheless scathing when he saw spelling errors unmarked.

I agree with him!

It's a problem. I put in Dictionary Cleaner a while back to see whether that made any difference. Apparently not. I've just dumped it out again.

So no, restarting didn't do anything.

On serious documents I catch errors by having NWP read the file to me (I learned that trick years ago with the old NW which was then unique in having a voice), but that's not really the point, is it? :D

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

At least the problem is consistent- that will make it easier to work against. So, the first thing to check is if the problem is with NWP or your system spellchecker. Can you open the same document in TextEdit and see what it makes of the misspelled words? If its spelling panel correctly stops on the misspelled words, could you send me your document to inspect? Thanks!
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I've sent you a document, Martin. Text Edit picks up "noi" but not "SYMNME3TRY".

Cheers, Geoff
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Text Edit picks up "noi" but not "SYMNME3TRY"]
Strange! TE picks up both upper- and lower-case "SYMNME3TRY" on my PB with OS X 10.5.8,

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

With Geoff's help we were able to figure out the problem. In his NWP Language preferences Geoff somehow had his "English (US)" language configured to use Apple's "Multilingual" spelling dictionary. That dictionary appears to include the word "noi". Changing his language settings to use Apple's English spelling dictionary no longer skips "noi".
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

With Martin's jolly old forensic skills and insight, is the truth of the matter. I had never noticed that setting! :P

Cheers, Geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

greenmorpher wrote:With Martin's jolly old forensic skills and insight, is the truth of the matter. I had never noticed that setting! :P

Cheers, Geoff
Too busy looking for the vertical ruler Geoff? :)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

dshan wrote:
greenmorpher wrote:With Martin's jolly old forensic skills and insight, is the truth of the matter. I had never noticed that setting! :P

Cheers, Geoff
Too busy looking for the vertical ruler Geoff? :)
As sharp as the serpent's tooth, as P G Wodehouse would say, dshan, and just as poisonous.

But now you mention it ...

MARTIN!!!!!

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Worsley Press