first word of sentence not being capitalized

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
credneb

first word of sentence not being capitalized

Post by credneb »

I saw the thread on editing the list of words that aren't capitalized, but this is different.

I don't know whether it is a bug, feature, or by-product of multilingual support, but...

If you type

"This is a sentence. the " or "See FIG. 6. the "

"the" is correctly capitalized.

If you type

"See FIG. 6D. the " or "The paper travels along path F. the "

"the" is not capitalized.

Is this the intended behavior? (It certainly isn't the expected behavior. <g>)

Cliff Bender
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: first word of sentence not being capitalized

Post by martin »

If you type

"See FIG. 6D. the " or "The paper travels along path F. the "

"the" is not capitalized.

Is this the intended behavior? (It certainly isn't the expected behavior. <g>)
Whether it's intended or not is somewhat fuzzy. Figuring out whether a period ends a sentence or just an abbreviation isn't something that a computer can do with complete accuracy. So the rule in NWP is that any capitalized word three letters or less followed by a period counts as an abbreviation. Thus "F." and "6D." are considered abbreviations and not sentence endpoints. There's no built-in way of changing this, however...
credneb wrote:I saw the thread on editing the list of words that aren't capitalized, but this is different.
Follow the steps in that thread, but simply change the value of the "CapitalizedAbbreviationLengthThreshold" key to "0" instead of "3". That way any capitalized word/character will count as a sentence endpoint.
credneb

Post by credneb »

I figured something like that might be going on.

For now I'll leave it as is, because the solution might be worse than the problem.

Thank you.

Ah, a follow-up question.

If one changes the configuration inside the Nisus package as described, does that mean that the same change would need to be made manually with each future Nisus update? Or would such changes stick?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Such manual changes to the application bundle would not stick, so you'd have to redo the alteration after each update.