Keyboard shortcut to Nisus Thesaurus: GO away!

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dspedersen

Keyboard shortcut to Nisus Thesaurus: GO away!

Post by dspedersen »

Hi,

Normally cmd + </> is used to toggle between windows in the program in front. However, the Nisus Thesaurus has 'stolen' cmd+<, even in other programs where text might incidentally be highlighted (for instance in Safari), which is pretty annoying.

I've been through the Menu Shortcuts in NWP's Preference Pane, but I can't find it there, to assign another shortcut key, nor is it findable in the System Preferences pane Keyboard.

How do I get rid of this (shortcut)?

Thanks!
Dan

Msc, PhD student
University of Aarhus
Denmark
ptram

Re: Keyboard shortcut to Nisus Thesaurus: GO away!

Post by ptram »

There is a Services preference pane (included as standard in SL, if I'm not wrong) that lets you change the shortcuts assigned to the services. However, I would like very much if the next version of Thesaurus didn't use a reserved shortcut.

Paolo
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Hey Paolo

I've been in there already but you can't "undo" the shortcut taken by NT, that is, unless you uninstall it again (which I'd rather not).

I find it a bit strange, that NT is using such a global and general shortcut that've been assigned to toggle between windows within programs in OS X.

/Dan
Dan

Msc, PhD student
University of Aarhus
Denmark
ptram

Post by ptram »

Dan,

At least in Tiger, I could deactivate the shortcut from the NT service. Unfortunately, I cannot find the web site of the Services preference I'm using.

Paolo
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

In OS X.6.x, I just:

* deleted the keyboard shortcut for Nisus Thesaurus (I don't use if often enough to remember it; I always use the menu)

* deleted the keyboard shortcut for moving among windows in an application and changed it to option-command-.

* deleted the keyboard shortcut for opening a new Nisus document with selected material in an edxisting document, and changed it to option-command-n

This was in the keyboard shortcuts in the System Prefs. I clicked on the shortcut to select it, clicked again and waited, as one does with, e.g. a file name, then selected the shortcut and typed in the new one to replace it.

Seems to work.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Ah, I found it! Go to NWP Preferences > Menu Keys and there you will find the shortcut for the thesaurus placed under Nisus Writer Pro > Services > Look Up Selection in Thesaurus being cmd+<, which can now be changed to something else, or deleted.

For some reason it isn't available under the actual Services from my NWP menu. Odd!
Dan

Msc, PhD student
University of Aarhus
Denmark