NW PRO won't open WORD 04 DOCs

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cas99

NW PRO won't open WORD 04 DOCs

Post by cas99 »

My colleague in UK unfortunately must use Windows. He has been sending DOCs to me, which I have opened in the past. Currently, they don't open. Now he is saving in RTF, and they open.
If I open his RTF saved file, then save it in WORD, then it will open in NW PRO.

Is there a translator missing for WORD DOCs in the new PRO update?

I use a new iMAC.

Thanks
xiamenese

Re: NW PRO won't open WORD 04 DOCs

Post by xiamenese »

cas99 wrote:My colleague in UK unfortunately must use Windows. He has been sending DOCs to me, which I have opened in the past. Currently, they don't open. Now he is saving in RTF, and they open.
If I open his RTF saved file, then save it in WORD, then it will open in NW PRO.

Is there a translator missing for WORD DOCs in the new PRO update?

I use a new iMAC.

Thanks
Which version of OS-X and which version of NWP are you using?
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Also, how do you go about saving the Word document? The Save As feature only generates a regular RTF file with a .doc file extension. If you want to create a real Word binary file, you need to use the Export feature.
Tom le Gunz

Post by Tom le Gunz »

I have the same problem... Since I upgrade to Snow Leopard (and to the 1.3.1 beta 1).... The only solution is to open the document with Notpad (or word), export to RTF and then open with Nisus... :(
Tom le Gunz

Post by Tom le Gunz »

The problem seems fixed with de Beta 3
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, if you're on Snow Leopard (10.6) please make sure you're using the latest beta (#3), otherwise this could be a problem.
Derick

Post by Derick »

had the same problem with WordPerfect files but the beta fixed it :)

Any chance of recompiling the importers as universal binaries or Intel-specific?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Derick wrote:Any chance of recompiling the importers as universal binaries or Intel-specific?
The importer is over 150MB, just to support PPC. That would make universal importers more than 300MB, which is a lot of bloat. Perhaps one day everyone will be Intel-only (Apple moved that way with Snow Leopard). Or we could offer separate downloads, but that tends to confuse users.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Why confuse, Martin? I always download Intel-only versions whenever the application has split versions, just like I used to download PPC-only previously.

Greetings, Henry.
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

I have to agree with Henry. Wholeheartedly. I'd rather just have the Intel package and avoid installing Rosetta.

Thanks
Lou
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

I'd vote with offering separate downloads. I still have an iMac G3 in my office and an iBook G4, but most of my work is on my year-old iMac and my first-generation MacBook. It wouldn't be any problem, when there's an update, to download separate Intel and PPC versions. I already have to do that with some other software.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

I want to echo the sentiment. I use Intel Macs only, and I would love to eliminate redundant PowerPC files, if only to save hard disk space. Many software developers offer two separate versions of their applications, and if you Nisus guys label the download files appropriately, there should be no confusion for your users.
Derick

Post by Derick »

+1 for separate downloads.
dshan

Post by dshan »

mrennie wrote:I want to echo the sentiment. I use Intel Macs only, and I would love to eliminate redundant PowerPC files, if only to save hard disk space. Many software developers offer two separate versions of their applications, and if you Nisus guys label the download files appropriately, there should be no confusion for your users.
You can always use one of the stripper utils that will remove the PPC code from any app. The space savings are not that great however unless you strip every app you own.

Better still drop PPC support altogether for NWP 2.0. If you're still using PPC Macs then you can still use NWP 1.x and Mac OS 10.5 or 10.4, but the future is Intel only (and 64-bit Intel at that). It's time to stop being held back by obsolete hardware and software, I can't see the next version of iWork still supporting PPC (or pre-10.5 versions of Mac OS X), and it might even be 64-bit too.
Derick

Post by Derick »

Actually at this point you can't strip the PPC code from NWP b/c the importers included with NWP are only in PPC, even in the beta for Snow Leopard.