Equation Editor

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jsauld

Equation Editor

Post by jsauld »

Please forgive the probably dumb question, but where the dickens is Equation Editor.
I am running NWPro on a Mac leopard and there is no Equation Editor under Insert,
or anywhere else I can see for that matter -- where is it hiding?? Thanks.
dshan

Re: Equation Editor

Post by dshan »

NWP does not have an in-built equation editor like MS Word. If you need one you can use MathType, MathMagic or several other 3rd party apps.
ptram

Post by ptram »

I'm not a mathematician, but what about Grapher, coming with the Mac? Too limited, maybe?
ajcarr

Post by ajcarr »

Ye Olde Nisus under Classic came with Equation Editor, the same cut-down version of MathType that Microsloth used to ship with Word. Nisus Writer Pro doesn't have this, but it doesn't really support the commercial MathType either: there's no simple way to insert a MathType equation, and if you create an equation in MathType, copy it, and paste it into NWP, the baseline of the equation is about one point too high.

There's no point in using anything other than MathType, because publishers don't support those equations.

So please, Nisus, support people who want to write technical documents without having to resort to LaTeX (which I use for longer documents, anyway). I love the way that Nisus leverages Apple's advanced typography (as opposed to Microsloth writing their own text-rendering routines, and producing garbage).
ptram

Post by ptram »

I second the question about Grapher. I've always found it adequete for transcribing my simple formulas (math and logic), but I'm not a mathematician. Is it too simple for advanced use, or is it just that the name hides its nature of equation editor?

Paolo
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Knowing LaTeX makes a solution simpler: NWP is LinkBack-enabled and LinkBack supports LaTexIt and LyX. See: http://www.linkbackproject.org/.
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com