Open large file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
rf10

Open large file

Post by rf10 »

I'm trying to open a 14 MB .txt file. It's taking a terrific amount of time "Typesetting Text..." 15 minutes so far. This is the second time; the first time the program crashed. I've opened this file in BBedit. Is this normal? Thanks.
rf10

Re: Open large file

Post by rf10 »

... and twice now after about 30 minutes the program goes to "(not responding)"
Dick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Large files may take a while to open- however it's not the file size itself that is the main problem, but how many pages of text. I'd estimate a plain text file of that size is probably several thousand pages long. That's simply going to take a while and you may be better off editing that particular file in BBEdit.

That said, NWP shouldn't crash. I'd ask you to send us the file, but it may be too large to transmit. Can you try compressing the file? If it's a reasonable size, could you send it to us so we can investigate? Even if not, I'd ask that you please submit a report using the menu Help > Send Feedback so we can see the crash log. Thanks!
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

Any chance that new 10.6 features like GrandCentralDispatch are being used in upcomming NWP versions ?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#grandcentral

I use NWP to edit large pdf files, converted to .rtf for reading on my BeBook ereader. Very often NWP locks up with the 'spinng beachball' and OSX tells me that the application is not responding. But when I look at the total number of pages in the document, I can see that it is busy reformatting the document.

Wouldn't using threads make the application more responsive ?
Looks to me that GrandCentralDispatch and OpenCL in 10.6 would be able to speed things up a bit in formatting large documents.