Goodbye Nisus

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sgmiller

Goodbye Nisus

Post by sgmiller »

I am sorry to say that after two years of trying to like Nisus, I am jumping ship for (shudder) Microsoft Word for Mac. :( When I first switched to the Mac in June 2006, I experimented with Mellel. Word, and Nisus. The older Word version was intolerable, Mellel was too difficult to use, and while I noticed problems with Nisus, I settle on it as the best compromise because I liked the interface. The problems I have had since then and which Ihave reported in this forum:

1) Weird footnote behavior where they would disappear and reappear.

2) Fairly frequent lockups and crashes resulting in loss of work

I don't want to open up these issues which some have tried to blame on "haxies", working from files imported form other apps, etc. All I can say is that after two months of using the new Word, I have not had a single crash or serious instance of corruption.

My word processing needs are pretty basic and I don't use advanced features so all I can is that while I tried to love Nisus, it just didn't work out for me. It just makes no sense to have to fight your word processing software.
shades

Re: Goodbye Nisus

Post by shades »

Sorry to see you go. I have been using NWE/NWP since they were first released, so perhaps 5-6 years. As you note, NWP just feels right for a word processor. But unlike your experience, NWP has never crashed on me (that I can remember).

Also, as a user of Mellel, I am glad I persevered in learning it; it was well worth the effort. But, if MS Word works for you, great. That is always the critical factor... using something that is useful and meets your needs.

Wish you well. :)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

You can't imagine how many lockups/crashes I had with NWP to the point I had autosave set on every 2 minutes which if absurd of course. Even if the problem is a "haxie" of some sort, NWP is the only program of some 100 or more that seemed to be impacted. As I said, I would have liked to say but for my simple needs, Word will do especially since the new version is so stable.

Hate to give anything to MS though.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

sgmiller wrote:You can't imagine how many lockups/crashes I had with NWP to the point I had autosave set on every 2 minutes which if absurd of course. Even if the problem is a "haxie" of some sort, NWP is the only program of some 100 or more that seemed to be impacted. As I said, I would have liked to say but for my simple needs, Word will do especially since the new version is so stable.

Hate to give anything to MS though.
Since there was a new version of Pages released yesterday, have you tried that yet? It could be one way to stay out of the MS ditch (even if they do some application that is pretty useful, as Excel) for example).
Peter Edwardsson
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

Actually, Word for Mac 2008 is a pretty decent program and does the job does just fine.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

sgmiller wrote:Actually, Word for Mac 2008 is a pretty decent program and does the job does just fine.
I downloaded the Office 2008 some months ago just to be able to test it. It work pretty good, but I decided to stay with my primary writing tool - Mellel - and I am as happy as I can be ever since. :D

I think that the new version of MS Office (2008) are a much better bunch of applications than the terrible Office v.X were.

I used to write my papers using NWE to and fro up until the version I had until it stopped working on my old PB Pismo (think it was MacOSX 10.4.x something). But most of the time I have been using Mellel.

I really hope that you will be satisfied with Word 2008 and that you’ll stay out of crashes and other PITA that are connected to computers and applications. :roll:
Peter Edwardsson
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

NIce words and thanks :)

Of course, a Word Processor is just about the worst program to have crash.