Slower than Molasses In January

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MikeKazlow

Slower than Molasses In January

Post by MikeKazlow »

The new document import is SLOW. Even simple one page documents take an extraordinary amount of time to import. I've got one of the latest Macbook Pro laptops, so it cannot be a matter of speed of the machine or memory. Its got a 7200 RPM hard drive. It is just SLOW. The speed of import must be fixed.

...Mike
greenmorpher

Re: Slower than Molasses In January

Post by greenmorpher »

Even on the mighty 1.83 Ghz it ought to work a lot, lot faster than it does.

Cheers

Geoff

MarketNOW with Geoffrey Heard
Practical, Ethical Marketing and Advertising with the author of "Success in Store" (now at the new low price of $29.95 at http://worsleypress.com or Amazon).
Tel: (03) 9583 0788 / 0418 330 911
Email: marketyman@googlemail.com
http://www.marketnow.com.au

09:06 AM, November 17, 2008
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The .doc importer does take quite some time to load. It's an unfortunate characteristic of OpenOffice, which our importer is based off of, that we can't do much about. However, OpenOffice just released a new version, which we are looking to move to. Hopefully that can help in this regard.

One thing to note: it's only the first document you import that should take long to load. Subsequent documents will be converted much faster.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

martin wrote:The .doc importer does take quite some time to load. It's an unfortunate characteristic of OpenOffice, which our importer is based off of, that we can't do much about. However, OpenOffice just released a new version, which we are looking to move to. Hopefully that can help in this regard.

One thing to note: it's only the first document you import that should take long to load. Subsequent documents will be converted much faster.
That's good news. Let's hope the new importer loads faster, but it's true that once it's loaded, subsequent conversions are much quicker.

Mark
dshan

Post by dshan »

I don't know if it affects the file conversion functionality or not but a significant issue with incorporating OpenOffice 3.0 into NWP would seem to be the lack of a Mac PPC version - currently OO 3.0 is Mac Intel only. OO 2.4, which is the version NWP 1.2 appears to use, is available for both Intel and PPC. Apparently code for OO 3.0 PPC does exist, but it's very buggy according to the folks at NeoOffice who are currently struggling to incorporate it into their new version. It's a real pity because OO 3.0 does .docx conversion too.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Some day, PPC support will have to go. There are still a lot of PPC Macs around, and they will go on serving people very well for a long time, but they will be a diminishing proportion of the market. Nisus will have to ask the hard question: is continuing to serve the PPC users fully an appropriate use of our resources in light of the return?

If OO can fix their problem with translators, I guess the question will be put on the back burner; if not ...

Realistically, though, I would suspect Nisus would have to be thinking of cutting PPC users loose at NWP v.2.

Whenever -- the PPC users will still need a <-> .docx translator.

Cheers

Geoff

Practical, Ethical Marketing and Advertising with the author of "Success in Store" (now at the new low price of $29.95 at http://worsleypress.com or Amazon).

08:12 AM, November 20, 2008
steintal

Post by steintal »

I don' want to be forced to buy a new computer only because NisusWriter Pro 2 does probably not support PPCs anymore.

Hans
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Well, I'm not setting policy at Nisus, Hans, I'm just speculating, given the march of progress.

But think of it like this -- you don't buy a "new" computer, you buy a little Macmini, used. And when you switch it on, it is virtually silent, like a REAL Mac! What a beautiful sound. :lol:

Cheers

Geoff

06:06 AM, November 21, 2008
dshan

Post by dshan »

And very conservative speculation it is too Geoff. At the current rate of version increments for NWP v2.0 will appear in about 2012!

Hans, you're going to have to buy a new Mac sooner or later - the average upgrade cycle for Macs is every 2-3 years (for PCs it's around 18 months) and next January marks three years since the first Intel Macs were launched. There are already more Intel Macs in use than PPC Macs, the ratio is only going to increase as Mac sales continue to boom.

There are already several apps that only run on Intel Macs because making them run on PPC Macs as well would be difficult or impossible. NWP (and OO) haven't reached that point yet, but the trend is clear.

Universal apps were never intended to be more than a temporary bridge technology (like Rosetta), one day all Mac apps will be Intel only. Remember Classic mode?

The next release of Mac OS X - 10.6 aka Snow Leopard - will not run on PPC Macs, and that's due mid next year. That's a big hint from Apple. Given that both Apple and many 3rd party developers only support their software on the most recent major release of OS X and the immediately prior version (e.g. Nisus currently supports only 10.5 and 10.4.x, Apple only provides security updates for 10.5 and 10.4.x) it's pretty obvious what's going to happen by the time OS X 10.7 arrives...
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

greenmorpher wrote:Some day, PPC support will have to go. There are still a lot of PPC Macs around, and they will go on serving people very well for a long time, but they will be a diminishing proportion of the market. Nisus will have to ask the hard question: is continuing to serve the PPC users fully an appropriate use of our resources in light of the return?

If OO can fix their problem with translators, I guess the question will be put on the back burner; if not ...

Realistically, though, I would suspect Nisus would have to be thinking of cutting PPC users loose at NWP v.2.

Whenever -- the PPC users will still need a <-> .docx translator.
I have a five year old iBook G4 that runs NWP's latest version just fine, including translating Word documents with pretty fair speed. When my first generation MacBook needed a new hard drive from Apple, I used the iBook for a week while the MacBook was gone and it performed just fine.
As for .docx translators, the newest version of iWork runs fun on the iBook G4 and imports Office 2007 files.

And the Nisus Writer Pro original version (without the Comments feature) still runs fine on a seven year old G3 iMac.

I have Office 2004 on my iBook, MacBook and two-month-old iMac (2.66 Core 2 Duo with 2 gig RAM) and it is rather slow converting Office 2007/2008 documents even on the iMac.

(And if Nisus - and iWork - continue to develop features, I expect I'll never have to buy Office 2008.)

Gary
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
cyberbryce

Post by cyberbryce »

martin wrote:The .doc importer does take quite some time to load. It's an unfortunate characteristic of OpenOffice, which our importer is based off of, that we can't do much about. However, OpenOffice just released a new version, which we are looking to move to. Hopefully that can help in this regard.

Although it's hard to tell what the real impact is, the converter process also allocates 800 MB of memory on my machine... Relatively speaking, it appears to be a memory hog. That might also slow it down for some users.
:?
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

cyberbryce wrote:

Although it's hard to tell what the real impact is, the converter process also allocates 800 MB of memory on my machine... Relatively speaking, it appears to be a memory hog. That might also slow it down for some users.
:?
Although I mentioned that the converter doesn't seem to take too long in NWP, the Microsoft converter for handling Word 2007/2008 .docx documents in Office 2004 really, really takes a long time, even on my 2.66 GHz iMac with 2 gig RAM. There is often a point where I wonder if it has frozen and then, suddenly, the converted document appears. And, unlike the case with NWP, the Word converter takes just as long for each subsequent document as for the first.

Gary
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
BrittneyE

Post by BrittneyE »

It used to be slow for me as well. I upgraded to 4 GB of ram, and now it is working fine. Maybe that would help?
I need a manual!
My January 2010 calendar is absolutely packed with meetings!
Derick

Post by Derick »

Is there a cocoa framework or other way to access textutil ( http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... til.1.html ) that could be used instead?

It's practically instantaneous for most files I've tried it with.
Kino

Post by Kino »

But textutil is just a frontend for Cocoa (and Carbon?) functionalities and they are basically the same as those used by TextEdit in its importing or exporting a document. Note that textutil’s doc file support is limited to features supported by the standard Cocoa rtf. Then, many NWP/Word features such as styles, cross-references, footnotes, comments, autnumbers, etc. will be lost or altered.