Different color for Hebrew letter and vowel (nikkud)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ProfT

Different color for Hebrew letter and vowel (nikkud)

Post by ProfT »

For pedagogical reasons, I'd like to occasionally be able to color a vowel separately from it's associated consonant in Hebrew. Using a Unicode font such as New Peninim, I cannot color them separately. Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Any help would be appreciated!
Hamid

Re: Different color for Hebrew letter and vowel (nikkud)

Post by Hamid »

It seems not to be possible in the current version of NWP, though it can be done in other Cocoa apps and so should be doable in NWP. In NWP when you add colour to a vowel, the corresponding consonant character also gets the same colour. Also, when an rtf file with vowels in colour is imported to NWP or when you copy-paste to NWP, the colour of the vowels is lost in NWP.
Can this feature be added to NWP, Martin?
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

wow! although I have not noticed this until now, (only because I gave up on nikud with nisus due to all other kerning bugs..) this is a real 'bug'. I can think of various applications where different color for character and nikud should be a requirement! Indeed- please put this into the wish list.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

not knowing about Hebrew myself - this coloring of components was possible in early versions of OS X and NWE. But now that Unicode support finally works, it's gone again. So I think it's OS/text engine related. There definitely should be a way to still handle components separately...

HE

PS: Time New Roman is said to be buggy - on Macs for sure...
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Thanks for the replies. I was sure I must have missed some option, but it appears we shall have to wait for this to be addressed. So, Martin et al, it's an official request. We definitely need to be able to color vowels and letters separately.

Thanks!
Prof T
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This does appear to be a bug/limitation in Nisus Writer, thanks for letting us know. I'll file it as something we should look into changing.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

martin wrote:This does appear to be a bug/limitation in Nisus Writer, thanks for letting us know. I'll file it as something we should look into changing.
Thank you. :)
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

This has been fixed at last in NWP 2.1.2: http://nisus.com/pro/releasenotes/releasenotes212.php
Fixed: should be able to change the text color of just combining marks, leaving the base character's color unaffected.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's correct, thanks for noticing Hamid!