Hang in document with tables

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JHB

Hang in document with tables

Post by JHB »

I have a document with (so far) two complex tables. The rest of the document is straightforward text. Since yesterday, NWP will hang (beachball cursor) soon after trying to open the document. Sometimes I get as far as the document and am able to type a sentence or two before it hangs.

Looking at the sample, it looks like it's related to laying out the tables. The strange thing is that the tables are not visible - they are several pages further down from where I'm currently working.

Is this a corrupted document issue, or a bug in Nisus?

I'm running NWP 1.1 on a PowerBook G4/1.67 GHz, 2 GB memory, Mac OS X 10.5.4.

John
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Hang in document with tables

Post by martin »

Hi John, would you be able to send us the document itself? I believe we received a hang/sample report from you, but it would help if we had the document to try to reproduce the issue with.
JHB

Post by JHB »

Document sent.

I was able to get it going again by opening it in Word, making a small change, then saving it, which added 25% to the file size! Opening it again in NWP seems to be OK again.
JHB

Post by JHB »

I've been having more trouble, and seem to have isolated one of the difficulties. It seems to be when I select several rows of a column to merge them. The sticking point seems to be associated with where the page break comes. The table has a header row. If I select the last column with the two rows below the header, and if the page break currently goes between the header and the first row, and merging would allow the first row to move up to the page where the header row is, then it hangs.

Actually, it's not just the merge operation that causes the hang, but it can happen in similar circumstances. If there's a merged row that would move up to the preceding page which just has the header row if you remove some text from a cell, then cutting the text from that cell also causes a hang.

So, for the moment the work-around is to insert a page break before the table.

John
--
John Brownie, john_brownie@sil.org or j.brownie@sil.org.pg
Summer Institute of Linguistics | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.
Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands Province | New Ireland Province
Papua New Guinea | Papua New Guinea
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for sending along the file and specific instructions (which we always love to see). I'll make sure we take a look at the problem.