2 questions re: tables in NWP

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Frank Einstein

2 questions re: tables in NWP

Post by Frank Einstein »

1.) In a multi-page table is there any way to make the column heads appear at the top of each page? (I know this was asked once before—I am hoping that it is or will soon be possible.) Any plans to add this soon? This would really make the table function more useful.

2.) How can I import a NWP table into an already existing Pages 08 document?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Frank
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

1. There is currently no way to do this, and I couldn't say when such a feature might be available.

2. For whatever reason, Pages doesn't read tables from RTF, HTML, or the pasteboard. It only imports tables from binary ".doc" files, so the best way is probably to copy the table from NWP and paste it into TextEdit. From there save it as a Word document and then open it in Pages.

We've filed a report with Apple that Pages should be able to handle tables from RTF/other formats- hopefully they'll add that support in the future.
Frank Einstein

Post by Frank Einstein »

Thank you for your response. Would you please add the ability to have the column header repeat on subsequent pages as a feature request? It makes tables much more useful.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It's in our feature request database, thanks Frank.
dpb

Post by dpb »

If you're consistent about formatting, you can place the column heads in the document header (i.e., as a one-row table) and they'll appear on each page. But of course if you make a change to cell widths etc in the table, you'll have to do the same in the header.

I wonder if there will ever be a way to set a style for table column widths, so that such a header can be made to change when the table itself is changed?
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Whoa! What a cunning fellow you are, dpb. Why didn’t the rest of us think of that?

Not possible in all situations, of course, but certainly absolutely the answer in many.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com[/url]
dpb

Post by dpb »

O-kage sama de! (bows with eyes lowered and expression grave)
dpb

Post by dpb »

Another question related to tables that occupy more than one page: is there a way to ensure that two consecutive rows of a larger table are printed on the same page, the way that "Keep with next ¶" does for normal text?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

At this time unfortunately not, but it's on the list of things to add.