Fonts and lists

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Derick

Fonts and lists

Post by Derick »

Two suggestions:

1) list styles should inherit the default font from whatever's set in the Normal style in a new file rather than automatically being in Times New Roman.

2) The text below the sample list in the list styles in Style Sheet view should really say "(select a list level above to change its settings)" since you need to select a level to change any formatting.

I was going crazy trying to get my lists to match the rest of my doc. until I figured this out.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hello Derick

I can see where you are coming from and how your idea would work in particular circumstances, but that doesn't mean it would work in all circumstances. I clearly use lists -- and possibly Styles generally -- in different ways from you.

I do wonder why anyone would set them up in Times, though.

:D

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

1. Although the List style preview won't help you see it, by default the list items in your document use the ambient font (eg: the one enforced by the font/styles applied to your paragraph text).

Basically unless the list styles have been configured to have an explicitly set font in the stylesheet, the font should match the rest of the document. I'll file a report that the list style preview in the stylesheet should use the font assigned to Normal unless an override is present. Hopefully the can help prevent future user confusion on this matter.

2. The text below the list style preview already says, "(select a list level above to change its settings using the Lists palette)". I'm uncertain how removing the text "using the Lists palette" makes it clearer.
Derick

Re: Fonts and lists

Post by Derick »

Well 5 months later I ran into the same problem & had to look up my post here to remember how to resolve it....list styles in NWP 1.1 still don't inherit the font from Normal :( . And again, I didn't recognize "(select a list level above to change its settings using the Lists palette)" as being the way to edit it -- I looked at the Lists palette, but the Lists palette just has alignment, numbering etc., not the font setting. So again, IMHO I think "(select a list level above to change its settings)" would be more appropriate, since the settings which can be changed are not limited to those in the Lists palette.