List palette no longer working

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mrennie

List palette no longer working

Post by mrennie »

Dear all,

I've just noticed that I can no longer modify lists in the style sheet view. The list palette, which behaves normally in any of the document editing views, fades out in style sheet view when I select a list style level and try to modify it. Furthermore, the non-responsive palette shows outline level "0" for any level I select.

This must have happened very recently, as I remember using a more complex outline list not too long ago. I tried the standard troubleshooting procedures such as deleting the preferences file and using a new Nisus New File template, and I also ran Disk Utility to repair my disk permissions, to no avail. I'm not sure if this is related, but I applied all of the many updates which Apple posted yesterday, i.e. the iLife '08 and iWork '08 updates as well as the iMac firmware update. I'd be grateful for any kind of input.

NWP 1.0.1, Mac OS X 10.4.10, 2GB RAM, Intel iMac
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

That's odd. Are the list styles showing at he foot of the Styles lists on the left of the Style Sheet window?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Yes, they are, and these are the ones I selected in order to make my modifications. The list palette seems responsive to some extent: if I select, say, the tiered list entry in the style sheet view and then select one of the levels, the list palette indicates "Tiered List" (next to "Style"), and this changes if I click on another list, say outline, to match the selection. So this part of the palette is dynamic (though it cannot be selected) while the rest remains static. For instance, if I select "Level 1" in the main style window (aka. the pane on the right in style sheet view), the palette shows Level "0", and it does the same for every other level I select.

This looks like some kind of corruption to me, relating either to preferences or templates/documents, which is why I'm surprised that the problem persists if I delete these items and let NWP create new ones.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

My immediate response would be to uninstall then reinstall.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

I've just tried that in order to rule out as many explanations as possible, and I would have been seriously surprised if reinstalling the software had fixed the problem. So no, reinstalling NWP did not solve the problem. I will try to contact Nisus and see what they make of it; nevertheless, thank you very much for your input. I will keep you up-to-date.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

For what it's worth:

I've also tried using NWP in a new Mac OS X user account, and the problem is still there. Strangely enough, the list palette is still working in Nisus Writer Express 2.7...

Also, the feature is still working even though it is no longer accessible: in a document that I created about a month ago, I have set up headings in combination with an outline list, and the result looked as follows:

1. Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.2 Heading 2
2. Heading 1
2.1 Heading 2

and so on. If I type some text and apply a heading style to it, the list automatically renumbers the headings, but once again, I cannot modify the outline list style in style sheet view.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This appears to be a problem introduced with NWP 1.0.1. If you still have version 1.0 around (or download it) you should be able to modify lists styles there. I'm very sorry for this trouble- I'll file a high priority bug report.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Thanks for confirming this, Martin. I now know that there's nothing wrong with my setup, and I'm looking forward to the bug fix.