using MathType with NWP

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Charles1

using MathType with NWP

Post by Charles1 »

Could other users of MathType discuss their experiences in using it with NWP? Perhaps, we could share some comments and advice. Here are two issues in particular: (1) Does NWP adjust a baseline without any problems? (2) What are the best ways to convert to and from a MS Word file? If we have a 'thumbs up' on issues such as these, then I will vote NWP the best software since WriteNow!!
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

NWP does not adjust the baseline. It has been so long since I have used MW documents (sometime around Word 6.0), that I haven't tried to import such documents into NW or NWP.

Mike
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We are looking into the baseline issue, which I believe has so far only been reported by users of Intel-based Macs.
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

This was reported on the beta. It was announced that it would be fixed before shipping the final/officially shipped version. Never happened.

Mike
Charles1

Post by Charles1 »

Like MikeKazlow, I was told that the baseline problem would be fixed in the shipped version of NWP. At this point, I would like to know if and when it will be fixed. For that matter, I would be curious as to what the difficulties have been.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This bug was supposed to be fixed before release, and I apologize to you for that mistake. I honestly did try it out on my Intel machine with a pre-release version of NWP and it was working just fine.

As for when it will be fixed: the bug will be corrected whenever the first NWP maintenance upgrade is released. When exactly that is I don't know, sorry.
odrisc

Nisus Writer Pro & MathType 5.1

Post by odrisc »

NWP works well with MathType5.1 on my old PowerMac G5, but with my new Mac Pro, when a MathType equation is pasted into NWP is is treated as an image. baseline data isn't even pasted.

This is definately a bug.
nestorCardozo

NWP-equations LaTeXiT-to Word

Post by nestorCardozo »

Many problems with equations created in LaTeXiT and dragged to NWP document.

1. Linkback not working properly. It seems that I need to double click the equation in NWP in an special area in order to open it in LaTeXiT. Otherwise, I just get the image panel. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it does not. I notice that it works when a hand cursor shows above the equation. I can't find a pattern though.

2. Open NWP rtf with Microsoft Word -> resolution of equations in Word is really bad. Save rtf in NWP to doc format -> Open doc file in Microsoft Word -> resolution of equations really bad

Using a MacBook Pro

Please Help
pax

Poor resolution of equation from Mathtype

Post by pax »

Equations (linkbackable) copied from Mathtype (PICT format) have very poor resolution when compared with equations created with LaTeXit. Why is this so?
odrisc

MathType 5.1 problems eliminated in MWP 1.01

Post by odrisc »

Problems are finally fixed!
pax

Re: MathType 5.1 problems eliminated in MWP 1.01

Post by pax »

odrisc wrote:Problems are finally fixed!
I still get poor image resolution in MWP 1.01.
Charles1

Post by Charles1 »

I initiated this topic by asking whether NWP was able to adjust the baseline in an imported MathType equation. Has the problem been fixed in the new versions of NWP and/or NW Express? I was unable to contact Nisus about this and thus have a further question: Does Nisus still provide support?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

pax wrote:I still get poor image resolution in MWP 1.01.
If you can, please send me a sample document that shows this problem via the menu Help > Send Feedback. Does the poor resolution occur on screen, or after printing?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Charles1 wrote:I initiated this topic by asking whether NWP was able to adjust the baseline in an imported MathType equation. Has the problem been fixed in the new versions of NWP and/or NW Express? I was unable to contact Nisus about this and thus have a further question: Does Nisus still provide support?
Pro 1.0.1 and Express 3.0 both will properly import the baseline from a MathType equation. Once the equation is inside a Nisus Writer document you can alter the baseline using the menu Format > Baseline. This change in baseline will not however be communicated to MathType if you reopen the equation for editing there. On the other hand, any changes you make to the equation in MathType will be reflected in the Nisus Writer document that contains the equation.

Also, we do still provide support. Can I ask how and when you contacted us?
pax

Post by pax »

martin wrote:
pax wrote:I still get poor image resolution in MWP 1.01.
If you can, please send me a sample document that shows this problem via the menu Help > Send Feedback. Does the poor resolution occur on screen, or after printing?
The poor resolution of Mathtype image occurs after printing. The resolution on screen is okay even when zoomed 2400%. The images from LaTeXit are fine both on screen and after printing.

Sample document was sent via "Send Feedback".

pax