Anti-aliasing

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Martin S Taylor

Anti-aliasing

Post by Martin S Taylor »

Is there any reason why Nisus used a different anti-aliasing system from Word or Pages? When I view a page with relatively small type the Nisus version is smoother but rather washed out.

(In the attached screenshot, the version on the left is Nisus, that on the right is Pages.)

Martin S Taylor
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 17.22.25.png
Screenshot 2021-04-02 at 17.22.25.png (82.69 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Anti-aliasing

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer uses a heavily modified version of the macOS text layout engine. This is provided by Apple as part of the system and ultimately it handles fundamental aspects of text display on screen.

Microsoft Word and Apple Pages likely use different layout engines. I believe Pages uses WebKit, the same engine used by web browsers like Safari. Word probably has its own custom layout engine. These different engines likely explain some of the text display differences you're seeing.

That said, I wouldn't expect the text display differences to be so stark. Does your screenshot really show exactly the same font using exactly the same formatting options and zoom? Here's how the 3 apps show exactly the same text at 200% zoom on my Mac:

font_comp.png
font_comp.png (83.68 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

The apps are Nisus Writer, Pages, and Word (from left to right) showing the fonts Times New Roman, Adobe Caslon Pro, and Helvetica (from top to bottom). You can see there's really not too much difference.