runaway Nisus File Converter

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
B.Otter

runaway Nisus File Converter

Post by B.Otter »

I'm relatively new to NWP, running on macOS 11.2.1. Twice now, after opening Nisus and one or more "basic" RTF files, I've noticed the fans running and seen the Nisus File Convertor not responding and running at 99.8%, I think this is per thread? Both times, no file conversion was knowingly initiated. Killing the process solves the problem. Anyone else? Maybe a Big Sur problem?

Thanks,
Brad

Attached is a screen shot from the Activity Monitor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.25.04.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.25.04.png (216.6 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
Hamid

Re: runaway Nisus File Converter

Post by Hamid »

Does unchecking "Load file Importers in the background after Nisus Writer Starts" (from NWP Preferences:Advanced), resolve this issue? (Then relaunch NWP).
We have seen this issue before:
http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6175
B.Otter

Post by B.Otter »

Thank you for the recommendation and the reference. Will give it a go.

Brad
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry for the trouble Brad. This seems to be a problem that's new to recent versions of Nisus Writer Pro. We're still investigating what we can do to solve it for a future software update.

In the meantime please don't ever worry about killing the runaway converter process via force quit. That's complete safe. Nisus Writer will relaunch the converter as necessary. Hamid's suggestion to prevent the converter from automatically being started at launch is a good tip too. That way the converter is only started on demand and would be less likely to run away again. I'm sorry for the nuisance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

After communicating privately with Brad, it seems the problem was caused by the Nisus File Converter being incorrectly activated by the Finder. For whatever reason macOS tried to launch the converter when opening DOCX files in the Finder. That's undesirable because the converter is not a normal app. It should not be launched directly. It should only be used in the background by Nisus Writer to transparently convert files.

Brad initially tried to solve the problem by adjusting the "open with" settings in the Finder. Ultimately the solution was to rebuild the Launch Services Database using Terminal.