Permanently floating Styles Palette

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
xiamenese

Permanently floating Styles Palette

Post by xiamenese »

I don't know if I'm missing something or if this should be a feature request.

I'm running NWP 3.2.1 on my 5K iMac with 10.15.7 and on my M1 MacBook Air with 11.2.1.

I like to have the Styles Palette floating while I'm working but with all the other palettes attached to document left. However, I haven't found a way to make the Styles Palette float automatically on starting up NWP. The configuration doesn't save in "Nisus New File.dot" and there is no "Show Floating Palettes on Start Up" or similar Preference option.

As things are, whether I start from an existing file or create a New file, the first thing I have to do is go to Window > Palettes and click on "Show Floating Palettes", which is a bore.

So, any ideas, anyone? In the meantime I guess I must create a keyboard shortcut for it, though I'd rather it opened automatically.

:)

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Permanently floating Styles Palette

Post by martin »

What you described is unexpected Mark. If you have a floating palette visible when you quit Nisus Writer, it should be automatically restored when you later relaunch the app. I actually use that setup with the Formatting Examiner palette: it remains visible and floating at all times. I just tested with the Styles palette and it also behaved correctly for me.

Let's try this:

1. Show the desired floating palette.
2. Turn off the menu Window > Palettes > Show Floating Palettes to hide the floating palette(s).
3. Toggle the same menu again to show the palette, ie: checkmark the menu Window > Palettes > Show Floating Palettes.
4. Quit Nisus Writer and relaunch it.

I'm hoping that clears things out and makes the setting stick. Please let me know how it goes...
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

martin wrote: 2021-02-17 08:44:33 What you described is unexpected Mark. If you have a floating palette visible when you quit Nisus Writer, it should be automatically restored when you later relaunch the app. I actually use that setup with the Formatting Examiner palette: it remains visible and floating at all times. I just tested with the Styles palette and it also behaved correctly for me.

Let's try this:

1. Show the desired floating palette.
2. Turn off the menu Window > Palettes > Show Floating Palettes to hide the floating palette(s).
3. Toggle the same menu again to show the palette, ie: checkmark the menu Window > Palettes > Show Floating Palettes.
4. Quit Nisus Writer and relaunch it.

I'm hoping that clears things out and makes the setting stick. Please let me know how it goes...
Thanks for this. Actually, I had tried this many times but with no effect. However it finally sorted itself out. How? When I restarted the MacBook Air! I immediately got an automated email from Dropbox—where my Nisus Settings etc. are saved to share between computers—saying that "palettes.plist" and "Sync Metadata.plist" were conflicted and had been resolved. I didn't know those files existed as I hardly ever go into the Nisus Documents folder and when I do it's usually through NWP itself and directly to the Macros folder.

Anyway, problem solved, so sorry to have taken your time.

😊

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the update Mark. It sounds like your Nisus Writer settings were being overwritten externally, which continually reset your floating palette configuration. You can pick a folder for those Nisus settings in your General preferences, under "synchronized settings location". That location can be a cloud storage folder like iCloud or Dropbox, but you can also just choose a local folder if you don't want any sync between your Macs.

I'm sorry you struggled, but all's well that ends well :)