Equation editors on the Mac?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Equation editors on the Mac?

Post by martin »

A customer recently wrote in and asked about the best macOS equation editing tools. In earlier times our answer was often to look at Math Magic or MathType, but those tools have faltered in recent years. I know some of our customers use LaTeX editors to insert equations in Nisus Writer documents, but I'm not sure what apps are popular and reliable.

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips? Thanks for any help!
johseb

Re: Equation editors on the Mac?

Post by johseb »

I use and recommend Latexit.

It is open source, frequently updated, can export vectorial images (PDF) and support Linkback (you can double click an equation in NWP document and the equation opens in Latexit for editing. The modified equation is automatically substituted to the old one in the NWP doc).
chaub

Post by chaub »

I created an equation with LaTeXiT and inserted it into NWP as an image in PNG format. When I double-click on the image, it doesn't open LaTeXiT to edit the equation.
What is my mistake?
Thank you for your answers
johseb

Post by johseb »

I just tried inserting an equation in PNG format and I can re-open it in Latexit double-clicking on the equation in NWP.
The behaviour shown on your system doesn't seem normal but I'm not sure what's going on.
Note: after you modify the equation in Latexit and press the "Latexit" button to render the equation, it is automatically copied back to NWP but the format changes from PNG to PDF.

Have you tried using the PDF format? Do you have any specific reasons to prefer PNG?
The PDF format is also much nicer being a vectorial format.
johseb

Post by johseb »

Maybe I know what's happening.
Did you insert the equation image dragging from Latexit to NWP?
I just made a test and when I drag the equation I can replicate the issue you described in your post (the equation is not re-opened in Latexit when double-clicked).

Please, try copying the equation to the clipboard in Latexit (using the contextual menu, right-clicking on the rendered equation) and then paste it in NWP.
Double-clicking should work as expected.
chaub

Post by chaub »

Thank you for your answer johseb.
Indeed, it only works if we do a Copy / Paste. It is only in this case that the Linkback is activated in LaTeXiT. It can then be opened by double clicking on the equation in NWP.
PettanisFarso

Post by PettanisFarso »

Thank you, that's a great point!
Last edited by PettanisFarso on 2021-03-03 05:36:57, edited 2 times in total.