Placing Nisus rtf files in Indesign 2021 - Mac OS11

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bryand

Placing Nisus rtf files in Indesign 2021 - Mac OS11

Post by Bryand »

My modus operandi for several years now is to compose a book in Nisus Pro and then place it into InDesign to create the final print-ready pdf.
We recently upgraded to Big Sur and InDesign is also the latest version.Last week I tried to place a book into an Indesign file and it produced a page break at every paragraph. After some fruitless efforts to resolve this I eventually loaded the file into another WP program, converted it, and placed it in InDesign without issue.
This is not a one-off We tried to load a new book today and had an identical experience. A page break appeared at every paragraph. The immediate remedy was to do as before and use another program to place the file in InDesign.
I don't think this has anything to do with the way we compiled the Nisus rtf file. I took the file from a book we published last year and tried to place it isn a blank InDesign file, and whereas last year it loaded without the unwanted page breaks, today it produced a page break at every paragraph.
I realise that our working methods may not be common practice, but this does appear to be a glitch that causes us some problems.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Placing Nisus rtf files in Indesign 2021 - Mac OS11

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting Nisus Writer's RTF files into InDesign. We make every effort to ensure our files follow the RTF specification so they're as compatible as possible. Your problem could be a quirk of InDesign. In the past we've seen it exhibit finicky and nonstandard behavior when it comes to RTF support.

One quick test: can you use the Export As menu in Nisus Writer to save a copy of your file using the file format "Rich Text Format (limited features)". Please let us know if that produces better results for you. Thanks!
Bryand

Post by Bryand »

Sadly, that workaround does not do the trick. I will however inform Adobe of the issue and in the meantime use my own workaround.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

After communicating privately, Bryand reported that this import issue was resolved by updating macOS to Big Sur version 11.1.