Add a color from the color palette to menu item?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Add a color from the color palette to menu item?

Post by NisusUser »

Is there a way to add a color from the color palette (say, "Tangerine") to the menu, so that I can assign a Menu Key to it? I'd like more / different colors from the ones available by default.

From the Format > Highlight > Show Highlight Colors menu item I can get to "Tangerine," but it's a lot of clicks to get there.

Thanks!
Þorvarður

Re: Add a color from the color palette to menu item?

Post by Þorvarður »

Hi,
Is there a way to add a color from the color palette (say, "Tangerine") to the menu, so that I can assign a Menu Key to it?
What menu are you talking about? The Highlight, Text Color or Background Color in the Format menu? I don't think it's possible to add colors to these menus, and, as I see it, that's not necessary.

You can assign keyboard shortcuts to Show Highlight Colors, Show Text Colors and Show Background Colors. After clicking on the Pencils button you have quick access to Tangerine and all the other colors.
A [text] colors button can also be added to Nisus' toolbar.

If you want to use a keyboard shortcut for Tangerine (without having to go to the palette) the best thing is to use a macro.

Code: Select all

$Tangerine = Color.newWithRGB255(255, 147, 1)
Set Highlight Color $Tangerine
# Set Background Color $Tangerine
# Set Text Color $Tangerine
Select End
This macro adds Tangerine to a selection. If you want to color the background or the text itself instead, then use the words 'background' or 'text' instead.

NB
You find the hex RGB value of a color in the Colors palette.
(1) Format > Highlight > Show Highlight Colors.
(2) Apply Tangerine (or any other color) to a text passage in your document
(3) Choose RGB Sliders from the dropdown menu in the Colors palette to see the color's values
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Add a color from the color palette to menu item?

Post by martin »

Þorvarður had some great suggestions, but I'll offer another one: use a character style. If you create a new character style with the desired tangerine coloring, then you can assign it a customized keyboard shortcut. Using a style has many other benefits, eg: it's only one step to update the coloring for your whole document, quickly find text using the coloring, etc.