Printing Issue with NWP 3.0.3 and WF-3540 Epson Inkjet Printer

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
wwgreaves

Printing Issue with NWP 3.0.3 and WF-3540 Epson Inkjet Printer

Post by wwgreaves »

Using NWP 3.0.3 and my WF-3540 Epson printer, I have suddenly developed a printing issue.

In the past, when I have printed a document, I would choose "Quality" and the printed document would come out slowly with very good quality text.

Tonight, when I print a document, no matter what quality I choose, the document shoots out of the printer at lightening speed and the text is readable but nothing to brag about — and some of it is wavy.

What caused the change? My printer is at exactly the same settings as it has always been. More importantly, what can I do to correct this? What print setting(s) should I choose to actually get high-quality text.

Thanks for your assistance —

Bill Greaves
adryan

Re: Printing Issue with NWP 3.0.3 and WF-3540 Epson Inkjet Printer

Post by adryan »

G'day, Bill et al

Not sure I can offer much here except perhaps some troubleshooting maneuvers.

Things I would suggest:–

(1) Ensure you have the latest version of the operating system you are using.
(2) Ensure you have the latest version of your printer driver.
(3) Restart both computer and printer, then try printing again.
(4) Try using a direct cable connection rather than Wi-Fi.
(5) Try printing from other applications besides NWP, to see whether the problem is application-specific.
(6) Try printing other NWP documents, to see whether the problem is document-specific.
(7) Try printing any problematic documents from a previous version of NWP, to see whether the problem is version-specific.

With a bit of luck, this will help to home in on where the problem lies.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Bill et al

As you know, print settings for a document are made in the drop-down window (dialog box) that appears when you choose File > Print….

Halfway down that window is a drop-down menu that by default shows the active application. Other options available in that menu depend on the Printer you choose at the top of the window. One of them is usually something like "Media & Quality"; choosing it will reveal a place where you can set the quality you desire.

Of course, we all know this. But I have now noticed something curious which may be relevant to the present problem.

I used Epson printers for years until recently. I'm almost certain that "Media & Quality" was there as I've just described. It's there now for the Brother printer I use currently. But it's not there now if I choose an Epson printer. In this case, there is a "Printer Features" item in that drop-down menu, and choosing it reveals a place where you can choose the Print Quality you want. None of this looks at all familiar to me, so I suspect that an Epson software update (which I vaguely recall installing, just in case) has substantially revised the design of the Print dialog box and possibly reset the default Print Quality setting (and perhaps others as well).

So it may be worthwhile going through all the Print settings there in detail and making sure they are as you want them to be.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
wwgreaves

Post by wwgreaves »

Adrian,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Most appreciated.

I believe you are right about the Epson printer being the source of the problem. Like you, I am seeing a new dialog box when I print any document — from NWP, Pages, or Adobe — and I have the same issue with any document I print, no matter from what program. Whether that change is from Epson or Apple, I don't know, but I will look into the issue more thoroughly and get back to you.

I hate when my technology changes without any notice! 🤨

If either Epson or Apple has stopped supporting the WF 3540, I am going to be so steamed…

Again, many thanks —

Onward,

Bill Greaves
wwgreaves

Post by wwgreaves »

It was definitely the printer. After consulting both Apple and Epson support teams with no improvement, I broke down and bought a new Epson 4730 printer on sale ($80 off!), installed it myself (with much sense of accomplishment!!), and printed with it. Voila! Lovely letters and envelopes from NWP in fine quality.

I deeply appreciate your assistance with this issue, Adrian.

Onward,

Bill Greaves