Changing size of text in different places

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
writerhoward

Changing size of text in different places

Post by writerhoward »

I have a number of subheadings that are 9 pt in size. I want to change them all to 11 pt. Is there a way to use Find so that all the 9 pt are changed in 11 pt at the same time?

I am using v. 3.0.1.
adryan

Re: Changing size of text in different places

Post by adryan »

G’day, writerhoward et al

It depends on whether your 9-point subheadings are the only bits of text in 9 point.

If they are, and assuming each subheading occupies a single paragraph:–

(1) Use PowerFind Pro
(2) Put “(.+)\n” (without quotes) in the Find field
(3) Select the “(.+)” part
(4) Format > Size > 9
(5) Tick the Formatting Sensitive checkbox
(6) Put “\0” (without quotes, and that’s a zero) in the Replace field
(7) Select the entire Replace expression
(8) Format > Size > 11
(9) Tick the Replace Formatting checkbox
(10) Replace All

In Step 4 we use the main Format menu (top of screen) because there are no formatting Palettes accessible by the Find/Replace dialog box.

The reason I didn’t apply the size to the entire Find expression is that, depending on how you set the fontsize of a subheading in the first place (ie, character vs paragraph selection), the trailing paragraph return may not have the same fontsize as the visible subheading text. I’ve included resizing of the paragraph return in the Replace expression because it’s probably more convenient for the future in this context.

If your 9-point subheadings are not the only bits of text in 9 point, you will either have to use some other distinguishing feature of them in the Find expression or find them all manually.

But it’s much better to create a Paragraph Style for your subheadings in the first place. Then you can type in a subheading, click anywhere within that paragraph, and then apply the subheading Style. If in future you want to change any characteristic of your subheadings (such as the fontsize), just change it in the Style sheet and all the affected text will be changed automatically.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
writerhoward

Post by writerhoward »

Adrian,

Your directions work up to Step 6. Then, I cannot do "Put “\0” (without quotes, and that’s a zero) in the Replace field" because when I click in the Replace box nothing happens. I can't type anything in it.

Howard
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Howard et al

That is most curious.

Check that you don’t have the text color set the same as the background color of the Replace field — unlikely, I know, but worth considering, I guess.

Just for debugging purposes, type the Replace expression in the body of a NWP document where you can definitely see it, then Cut and Paste it into the Replace field. If you can’t see it in the Replace field, submit a bug report.

I suggest you then quit and relaunch Nisus Writer.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Howard et al

Another possibility is that you observed nothing happening in the Replace field because everything stopped while some autosave operation was in progress. I’ve noticed this a fair bit since moving to Mojave. But eventually the contents of the keyboard buffer get dumped into whatever text field you were working on. So it may be that just waiting a few seconds would enable you to see what you entered in the Replace field.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
writerhoward

Post by writerhoward »

Adrian,

I got it to work. By chance, I expanded the vertical length of the Find window. Doing that revealed text in the Replace area that was not visible during my first attempts, so when I scrolled up and deleted it I was able to complete your directions.

Your assistance has been outstanding and much appreciated. In particular, your instructions were very easy to follow.

Howard
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks to Adrian for the help. I'm glad you got it working Howard.

In case this situation arises again, I want to link to our FAQ topic that explains a few ways you can search for formatting in Nisus Writer. You don't necessarily need to use Find & Replace expressions, though that's certainly a good option too. For simple situations the new Formatting Examiner palette is a nice way forward.