Why can't I open Nisus documents by double-clicking them?

FAQ for Nisus Writer Classic (versions 6.5 and under)

Moderator: faq-editor

martin
Official Nisus Person

Why can't I open Nisus documents by double-clicking them?

Post by martin »

Please rebuild your Desktop and try again. I'm sure you'll let me know if that doesn't work. <BR><BR> To rebuild your Desktop Apple suggests that you first run Disk First Aid and then press COMMAND-OPTION as you restart your Macintosh. <BR><BR> You should not need to do this. For some unknown reason your "desktop database" (the invisible file on your Macintosh that keeps track of what files are associated with which applications) did not register the existence of Nisus Writer 6.0 when it was installed. Rebuilding the Desktop forces the creation of a new database and the association of all Nisus Writer files with the new Nisus Writer application. <BR><BR> After you are satisfied that Nisus Writer 6.0 functions the way you want and you have moved any special files you've created (Macros, Glossaries, Style Libraries, User Dictionaries, Stationery, etc.) from their respective folders in the Nisus Writer 5.1.x folder to their corresponding folders in the Nisus Writer 6.0 folder you can drag the entire Nisus Writer 5.1.x folder to the Trash and empty it.